Author Topic: Anton Nanut, 1932-2017  (Read 4565 times)

Offline AZContrabassoon

Re: Anton Nanut, 1932-2017
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 01:58:08 AM »
After years of collecting cds that maestro Nanut made, he shows up with the local orchestra - he was a real person. And a real gentleman. The orchestra absolutely loved him. He brought an old-world charm to the podium and somehow, magically, changed the sound of the orchestra to play in a style they never had before. I wish he had done Mahler, but the Mendelssohn and Dvorak (8th) he did brought tears to the eyes it was so dang beautiful. Proves once again that just because a conductor isn't in the headlines, that he (or she) isn't first-rate. Nanut, Horenstein, Wand -- all known mostly through recordings, and we're very fortunate to have them.

Offline waderice

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 02:18:06 PM »
It's sad that we hardly ever mentioned Nanut in our conversations here at the  GM Board, but it's not surprising if a particular conductor's recordings or concerts don't get much attention, if ever, over here on this side of the pond.  I would have liked to have known more about him when he was alive.

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 07:12:43 PM »
I can't say that I know much about him, so I'm guilty. I thought his budget priced recordings were decent, but not especially great. I think he might have been held back by the quality of the orchestras, and the recordings themselves. The 'super budget' Mahler recordings I liked were those of Adrian Leaper and Hartmut Haenchen. Still, I'm happy to read about how pleasant and 'good' he was to work with.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk