Author Topic: Presto Classical's samples of Vanska/M.O. M5 (good sound!)  (Read 3594 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Presto Classical's samples of Vanska/M.O. M5 (good sound!)
« on: July 02, 2017, 06:12:45 PM »
I thought I'd make a separate posting for this because the Presto Classical samples sound really good.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/BIS/BIS2226#listen

Of more concern to me than Vaenska's actual "molto adagio" for the Adaietto, is the tame start to the second movement. However, that said, notice that he doesn't slow down in the slightest when we move into the first theme - the big, sweeping melody in the lower strings. Many people lose tempo there.

In fact, if one looks at the score (imagine doing that), there's no modification in the second movement until Mahler writes "draengend" just before the first trio-like section (rehearsal figure 5).

What I find promising is that this will be - and one hopes it gets completed! - the first full Mahler cycle done in America since Ozawa/Boston.

Offline AZContrabassoon

Re: Presto Classical's samples of Vanska/M.O. M5 (good sound!)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:19:25 PM »
Well the thought of yet another Mahler cycle clogging the shelves isn't something I'm looking forward to. But it is Minnesota, BIS has a great track record there with stellar cycles of Sibelius and Beethoven. And Osmo Vanska always has something interesting to say, so this new 5th will likely be ordered. The samples on the Presto site are too short to make a really clear opinion - but that 2nd movement has to snap and snarl right from the beginning, and alas, it doesn't here. Listen to the 70 year old Bruno Walter with NYPO and the difference is startling. It mystifies my how so many conductors who are otherwise just fine with Mahler, have trouble with the fifth: Bernstein, Fischer...

Offline lisaacso

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 03:05:36 PM »
If you go to the BIS download site, eclassical.com, you can hear all you want 30 seconds at a time.
Also, for those who buy mostly downloads, this recording is available in 24/96 at the same price as the regular 16/14.4 for a couple of more days.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 06:21:20 PM »
Frankly, I'm very much looking forward to their upcoming releases of M6 and M2, particularly since tuba player Steve Campbell sounds so great on his B&S "MRP" rotary valve CC tuba (I want one).

Offline GL

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 06:12:31 PM »
Of course, if Vänskä's Second and Sixth will be the slowest, dullest, indifferent, sedate, under-played, faceless Second and Sixth, it doesn't matter as long as we can listen to beautiful tuba playing!

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 08:09:27 PM »
Works for me. Mind you, I haven't spent any money yet. I've been using Spotify and Youtube.

"Mahler’s Fifth contains some of the most gut-wrenching, intense music in the symphonic repertoire. Its moods swing from the blackest despair to uninhibited giddiness. You won’t hear them in this abstract, clinical exercise in podium control"

It's not so much that I disagree with David's thought, but rather I don't feel that this aspect of Mahler 5 needs any highlighting or underlining. To me, it's already there - built into the work. I think I made my point before. I wouldn't give this 5 stars or a 10/10, but neither do I think it's awful. That's just me.

I also don't agree with D.H.'s assessment of Vanska's Minnesota Sibelius, just for this one simple reason: what would be the point of Vanska conducting Sibelius exactly as he had recorded it before? I like some of his later Sibelius.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:16:56 PM by barryguerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk