Author Topic: is too much made of Iglau (now Jilhava)?  (Read 3312 times)

Offline barryguerrero

is too much made of Iglau (now Jilhava)?
« on: August 22, 2017, 07:53:22 PM »
Mahler left at quite a young age - 15 or 16, I believe. He never really lived there again, but returned for family matters - mostly funerals. How formative was Iglau? It certainly was predominately German in language.

Offline Prospero

Re: is too much made of Iglau (now Jilhava)?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 10:08:05 PM »
One's whole life is founded on one's childhood and adolescent experience.

Isn't a great deal of the mixing of the young Mahler's musical and psychological experience fundamental to the tapestry of his work? The beer hall  musicians, the marching bands, the catholic church, his early music training?

Hard to see how Iglau would not be central.

Tom in Vermont

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 11:03:49 PM »
I agree, but I'm just tryin' to kick up some dust - other than talking endlessly about recordings (for which I'm very guilty).

Offline Toblacher

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 11:58:15 PM »
I was in Praha about five years ago and had planned a bus trip there, I believe it is about a 2-3 hour ride.  I got cold feet at the last minute and bailed on it, I was worried about making a mistake (missing the stop, getting on a wrong bus, etc.) and I needed to get back to Praha for an important evening concert.  I don't regret it too much, there is only a Mahler house to visit and not much else.  BTW, I listen to a station called Classic Praha on the internet, that's why I use Praha.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »
I've always wondered why things called something other than what they are: Germany for Deutschland, Finland for Suomi, Japan for Nippon, Prague for Praha, etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk