Author Topic: OT: Blomstedt CSO Eroica  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Roland Flessner

OT: Blomstedt CSO Eroica
« on: March 03, 2018, 06:30:21 AM »
Last night I heard Herbert Blomstedt lead the CSO in Mozart 39 and Beethoven's Eroica. These were lively performances, with tightly sprung rhythms, and the precision of the orchestra was astonishing. The orchestra played with all the power this piece demands, yet remained transparent throughout. I'd be reluctant to hear another live Eroica any time soon because I can't imagine it could measure up to this one.

With two asterisks: The oboist came in a bar early in his second entrance in the scherzo, but seemed to realize his mistake immediately and recovered as gracefully as possible. Then, probably due to the acoustic reflector suspended over the orchestra, I found the horns unusually prominent throughout. I didn't mind, because I heard a lot of details I hadn't noticed before (and I've been listening to this symphony for 50 years). From the podium, they were probably more recessed. The reflector acts like a huge microphone when you're sitting in the balconies.

During the applause at the end, Blomstedt walked into the orchestra and shook hands with as many musicians as he could reach, including the errant oboist. I thought that a classy move.

Offline barryguerrero

Re: OT: Blomstedt CSO Eroica
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 04:54:44 PM »
"Blomstedt walked into the orchestra and shook hands with as many musicians as he could reach, including the errant oboist. I thought that a classy move"

That's why he's still greatly loved in S.F.  I know from my own experiences that he's a "classy" guy.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 05:33:55 AM »
I’m glad you got to hear him conduct. I really admire him as a musician.

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 02:28:59 PM »
Great recorded legacy, fortunately. I love his Sibelius, Nielsen and Beethoven sets. Didn't do much Mahler, but I for one thoroughly enjoy his 2nd. It's a thrilling, honest, exciting account.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 06:51:53 PM »
Yes, "honest and exciting" it is. I very much prefer Blomstedt's M2 to the MTT/SFS one. However, MTT does have the incomparable Lorraine Hunt Lieberson. 

Offline sbugala

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 08:19:57 PM »
I'd really like to see him conduct someday. It's unlikely he'd visit, St. Louis; but you never know. 

I really like that Mahler 2 with him, too. One snowy New Year's, I went to a party until about 4 in the morning. On the 8 mile drive home, I turned on the radio, and Blomstedt's Mahler 2 was on. I had no idea who it was, but I stayed in the driveway and waited for the end of it, because it was really good. On that drive, I didn't encounter another car in either direction, so it was some special solitude.

Offline waderice

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 12:24:50 PM »
Yes, Blomstedt's M2 is really good.  I heard a live Brahms 3rd by him here in Philadelphia last year and was really impressed with it.  Hope you can hear him live some day; you'll enjoy hearing him live.

Wade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk