Author Topic: Youtube of Thilemann/Dresden M3!  (Read 3541 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Youtube of Thilemann/Dresden M3!
« on: April 24, 2018, 09:51:00 AM »
I hope Mahler got to hear this one. Incredible woodwinds and percussion. I love this orchestra - so 'rustic' sounding, yet totally rhythmic and accurate. Garanca is perfect for this.

And don't the long timing fool you. The performance itself is less than 1 hr, 34 minutes. There's a bunch of filler afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEIZULUp9ic

Offline John Kim

Re: Youtube of Thilemann/Dresden M3!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 04:24:05 PM »
Thanks, Barry.

I quite like Thielemann's first go at M3rd. It is a direct reading whose cumulative effects come off well in the Finale. Indeed, Thielemann's Adagio sounds glorious. Staatskapelle Dresden is my favorite orchestra along with BRSO, far better shaped than BPO. There is also M10th Adagio by Thielemann/MPO CD just released.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 05:35:03 PM »
It's interpretively (sp?) bland but safe, I suppose, but the fine playing and great singing more than compensate. As you say, it has a really good Adagio. Hopefully this gets issued on a dvd or something. 

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 01:31:36 AM »
The sound on this Youtube site is great! Thielemann's reading is direct and unaffected but is fresh and spontaneous. The orchestra is gorgeous. I hope they recorded the concert for a future CD release.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk