Author Topic: Adam Fischer Mahler 1  (Read 3119 times)

Offline AZContrabassoon

Adam Fischer Mahler 1
« on: June 20, 2018, 12:10:02 AM »
So the Adam Fischer cycle continues, and again gets good reviews. In a new one on Music Web International, there's this line regarding the second movement:

"the thunderstorm passage is full of uncomfortable anxiety followed by a sense of abject despair. "

Now, I've known this symphony for 50 years. I own several editions of the score. Countless recordings including all of the standard great ones. Yet, I've never heard anyone mention anything about "the thunderstorm passage". Can anyone enlighten me? Where's the thunderstorm? Maybe I've been sleeping, but this really catches me by surprise?

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Adam Fischer Mahler 1
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 12:30:56 AM »
I'm guessing they mean the opening of the finale. It is a pretty good Mahler 1. I'd have a hard time naming a favorite - perhaps the dvd of Fabio Luisi/Dresden Staatskapelle might be my personal favorite (perhaps).  I like the old Bruno Walter ones too.

The reliance upon a heavily subjective description should be your tip-off that they're projecting their own narrative upon the music. Reviews in Mahler's own time were full of that sort of thing - the very reason he dropped programmes altogether.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:35:36 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 12:09:34 AM »
That's what I thought, but the mention of the Thunderstorm was very clearly in a discussion of the 3rd movement. Oh well. Can't wait for the entire A Fischer cycle to unfold - so far great reviews for all 4 volumes.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:48:28 AM »
Maybe it rained on that poor Lindenbaum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk