General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Vanska/MO/BIS Mahler 2nd SACD

<< < (4/4)

Konsgaard:
Yes, I am aware of the bells in the score. Indeed some conductors take liberties and I don't mind them as long as the effect is pleasant to my ears. Jansons BR Mahler 2 uses some really high pitched bells and they are all over the place (also played so alarmingly you'd think the village is on fire).

barryguerrero:

barryguerrero:
I received the hard disc and played it today. It's the best Mahler 2 in my collection - completely sweeps the field for me. I love the clear recording of real deep bells. They not only sound good at the end, they're terrific at the 11:15 spot in the finale (during the march). All of the offstage brass is both clear and resonant. While not huge sounding, the organ has a really nice tone quality. My only minor complaint is that there are no extra tracks for the finale. Still, I really like this one. The first one minute of the opening movement is best I've ever heard - it really sets the mood. The scherzo is really good as well. To me, this is by far the best release among the three, so far, in this Minnesota/BIS cycle. I'm hopeful they'll do a 7th symphony that's as detailed as this one.

John Kim:
Barry,

Agreed.

Vanska's is the best Resurrection I have heard in recent years.

Tempos are broad but as you noticed Vanska is closer to Tennstedt than Maazel in distributing tempos and managing them. I really like the 1st movt, particularly the first few minutes as you said. The ending is great with organ, tam tam, bells all clearly and authentically audible.

I wish BIS had inserted several tracks for V so that I can jump to the conclusion. The same problem was with Fischer. Sigh ...

John

Freddy van Maurik:
Wow!
I got this a week or two ago, but after reading Barry's comments I took the time to listen to it yesterday. This is indeed a very, very good M2.
But to me, the bells even sound quite loud... I, too, like to be able to hear them, but I'm not sure if I find it entirely authentic. It almost seems like they were recorded separately, to my ears. But that's a minor issue with this great performance and recording.

And as far as a lack of separate tracks for the finale go: I don't mind; I usually listen to the entire piece. Anyway, I've always been taught not to "jump to conclusions", John...

Cheers,
Freddy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version