Author Topic: Henry-Louis de La Grange's Volume One Expected in Early 2020  (Read 3626 times)

Offline James Meckley

Henry-Louis de La Grange's Volume One Expected in Early 2020
« on: October 29, 2019, 04:24:08 PM »
It looks like the English-language version of Henry-Louis de La Grange's volume one, Gustav Mahler: The Arduous Road to Vienna (1860–1897), is going to be published in early 2020 by Brepols Publishers, Belgium, under their Speculum Musicae series. See:

https://www.luigiboccherini.org/2018/11/24/cinema-changes-incorporations-of-jazz-in-the-film-soundtrack-2/

No word yet on price, though volumes 2, 3, and 4 as published by Oxford were quite expensive on initial release.
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline ChrisH

Re: Henry-Louis de La Grange's Volume One Expected in Early 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 02:22:12 PM »
Do any of the members here know what the additions to this volume 1 are versus the original, English version? I picked up all of mine off of the used market, and they were still quite expensive.

One thing I will say about this biography is that it really got me interested in opera. Now I watch/listen to that more than I listen to Mahler the past 3-4 years. The other thing that really struck me, maybe more than anything else, was Mahlers insane work ethic. This man was tireless. If I remember correctly, there was a season in Leipzig when Richter fell ill, that he conducted almost ever production for a year. It was something like 200 performances. It's almost mind-boggling to think about.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 05:15:01 PM »
I know of no specific information regarding differences between the old and new versions of Volume One except, of course, that the new version will surely benefit by an additional 30 to 40 years of research on the part of Professor de La Grange. It's worth noting that the new version covers fewer years than the old one (1860–1897 vs. 1860–1902) so as to dovetail properly with Volume Two.

I see by its dust jacket that I paid $17.50 for my copy of Volume One nearly 48 years ago! How time flies when you're having fun.
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 03:04:36 PM »
I know of no specific information regarding differences between the old and new versions of Volume One except, of course, that the new version will surely benefit by an additional 30 to 40 years of research on the part of Professor de La Grange. It's worth noting that the new version covers fewer years than the old one (1860–1897 vs. 1860–1902) so as to dovetail properly with Volume Two.

I see by its dust jacket that I paid $17.50 for my copy of Volume One nearly 48 years ago! How time flies when you're having fun.

$17.50 with inflation comes to about what I paid for my copies on the used market about 7-8 years ago. I don't think I will upgrade. All of my copies are signed but, not to me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk