Author Topic: Vanska/MO/BIS Mahler 7th SACD to be released in June  (Read 5981 times)

Offline John Kim

Vanska/MO/BIS Mahler 7th SACD to be released in June
« on: April 01, 2020, 02:52:34 AM »
Timings look pretty good:

01. I. Adagio - Allegro risoluto ma non troppo (22:42)
02. II. Nachtmusik: Allegro moderato (15:23)
03. III. Scherzo (8:38)
04. IV. Nachtmusik: Andante amoroso (12:24)
05. V. Rondo_Finale (17:30)

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Vanska/MO/BIS Mahler 7th SACD to be released in June
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 03:46:36 AM »
Perfect. Exactly what I've been looking for (in terms of timings). Perhaps the middle movement is a bit fast. John, where did you find that info?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:48:48 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 03:56:05 AM »
Yes, compared what Vanska did in M5th and 6th, the overall timing of the upcoming 7th looks a bit fast.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 04:01:13 AM »
I think after the 7th, 3rd and 10th (Cooke) will be released.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 04:56:24 AM »
Thanks. I looked at it - what an awesome cover!!!   Anyway, I think the 10th is next (after 7). The 3rd is (was?) to be performed in June of 2020.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:58:14 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 04:17:44 PM »
This seems great. Any ideas when we might see a Vänskä 8th? I have a feeling that might either be an excellence or a flop.

Also, I’ve noticed that BIS puts about 30 seconds of silence at the end of their works, so the finale is really right around 17:00. That’s ideal for me.

The scherzo might be too fast but that’s the least of my concerns if the other movements’ timings are that ideal (for me). Stenz did an 8-minute or so scherzo and I didn’t mind it. That’s still one of my favorite M7s.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 04:19:43 AM »
I like Vanska's "Resurrection" very much, so perhaps he will pull off a good M8. As you know, there are just so many variables: vocal soloists; organ; the hall; children's chorus - you name it. I think BIS should pretty much figure out how to deal with the hall, but we'll see. It'll be a couple years away yet. He'll probably save it for his last season, which I think is 2022.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 09:45:28 PM »
Correction: The release date moved from June to May.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 10:05:34 PM »
I like ALL of Vanska/MO Mahler recordings thus far. To me, Vanska's Mahler reveals new things in ways that other versions don't. Theses recordings are never dull or bland but wonderfully refreshing, always keeping in line with the architecture and the crystal clear polyphony. I eagerly look forward to the 7th in the cycle.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 10:06:00 PM »
1-minute samples are now on Presto. Sounds about as good as I expected! The finale seems straight-faced but not slow. It’s not enough to tell for sure. Very much looking forward to this one. My guess is that it will be digitally released on Spotify this Friday. That seems to be the trend lately. If not, the listed release date is July 3rd.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8787137--mahler-symphony-no-7

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:10:39 PM by erikwilson7 »

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 02:20:01 PM »
Here is a 1 minute video of the Rondo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1BYDAwUz9k

Offline John Kim

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 03:08:59 PM »
itunes has the Scherzo movt for listening. It is fabulous! Fast, exciting, with wild contrasts in dynamics, and tempos. The woodwinds, in particular have a wonderful presence, while the Minnesota strings, running up and down wildly, are having their field day. This is the best Mahler i've heard from Vanska/MO and I eagerly wait for the release of the SACD.

John

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 03:26:26 AM »
I am finishing up all 5 movts of the Vanska/MO M7th.

It's plain and simple; fabulous, easily the best Vanska and his orchestra have delivered in the ongoing Mahler cycle thus far.

The playing and interpretation are not only precise and poised but also greatly characterized, far more than their previous installments M1,2,4,5,6. Just listen to how the second theme in I. - at which Vanska slows down his tempo quite a bit and lingers on - starts out almost from silence with the deep string sound but picks up in the following ascending measures. It's so delicious! The coda is as exciting and fastidiously played as Ozawa's account in Boston. Like I said, the highlight of this performance is the Scherzo, but the two Nacht Musik II. and IV. are excellent too. And there is the Finale; the timpani that opens the movt is perhaps the best I've ever heard. Throughout V. Vanska really whips up his players and they never for a moment lose the control, nor the accuracy.

The BIS sound is warm and rich, well balanced with deep bass.

Vanska's Mahler 7th may not replace Bernstein or Gielen, but I'd gladly add it on my list of Mt. Everest recordings of the work.

John 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 05:37:59 AM by John Kim »

Offline Russell

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 08:29:36 AM »
The hi-res downloads (96/24) are now available at ProStudioMasters and HDtracks, though curiously not yet at eClassical (BIS's own site):

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/60347

https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/5ec4b80ddbd6e935c9e2df8f

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk