Author Topic: Mahler 6 on sacd: Vanska (BIS) vs. Paavo Jarvi (RCA)  (Read 1865 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Mahler 6 on sacd: Vanska (BIS) vs. Paavo Jarvi (RCA)
« on: April 10, 2020, 07:51:45 AM »
I've hooked up my Yamaha sacd player and am playing through my Bose Wave boombox (the bigger one). I'm running the player on SACD 2-channel, not the 5.1  mix down. While the size of the sound is limited by the Bose Wave, the quality of the sound is excellent. I'm using this in a small bedroom anyway. I'll take quality over quantity of sound, any day. Anyway,   .  .    .

Overall, I do prefer the Paavo Jarvi/NHK Toko. It's very strong in all four movements, and is just a more 'vibrant' performance. Sound wise, I prefer the BIS, where the sound is 'darker' in comparison to the RCA. Cowbells are excellent on the BIS recording and are, in my opinion, the only draw-back to the Paavo Jarvi. Both have strong hammer strokes, although the second one is just a 'lulu' on the Vanska (BIS). For my taste, Vanska is just slightly better in the inner two movements, but not by much. I greatly prefer Jarvi in the two outside movements. The last 8 minutes of the Jarvi is just thrilling. The coda to the first movement is much better as well.  Needless to say, I prefer the S/A order that's on the Jarvi. That said, the Vanska is soooo unusual that A/S seems to work just fine - sort of.

I'll probably be keeping both of them. If it like the Boulez/VPO, but would like stronger hammer strokes and bit more 'punch' from the percussion in general, the Paavo Jarvi might punch your ticket.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:01:23 PM by barryguerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk