Author Topic: Mehta Bavarian M7  (Read 2472 times)

Offline sbugala

Mehta Bavarian M7
« on: May 15, 2020, 11:33:11 PM »
Does anyone have access to Mehta’s M7 with the Bavarian Radio Symphony? I’m curious about this one, since he never recorded it before that point. (I know he also did it with the Israel Philharmonic, but I’m more curious about this account. A friend got his autograph for me while traveling about 15 years ago after the concert this was derived.)

Offline John Kim

Re: Mehta Bavarian M7
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 01:05:14 AM »
When did the concert happen? I have the Mehta/IPO M7th CD which I like more or less despite that Mehta isn't always keen on rhythms.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 01:20:14 AM »
Roughly 15 years ago, I believe.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 02:51:35 AM »
I fear I might be mis-remembering. I suspect that IPO Mahler 7 exists in two forms, although I’d have to compare timings. One is on Decca, the other is on Helicon. I’m just getting thing confused, and for that I’m sorry.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 04:34:33 AM »
There is only one recording of Mehta/IPO M7th on Helicon AFAIK.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 04:51:46 AM »
There’s also one that’s a download version on Decca. Because they seemed to come out around the same time; I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s the same. Then again Jansons multiple renditions of things show that they may indeed be different performances. I’m not adept at linking things on the board, but check a streaming service. You should find it. It’s the same sort of graphic design given to Dudamel’s recordings for LA that were download only...except it’s on Decca with Mehta and IPO.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 07:44:18 AM »
The timings are pretty much the same, so I think it's a fair bet it's the same performance.

One HUGE missed-opportunity was Decca not pushing Zubin Mehta to do a Mahler 8 while in his prime. I know, I know, Decca already had the Solti one, but I think Mehta would have made one with more warmth and humanity. More to the point, he had a real rapport with so many great singers. 

Offline sbugala

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 12:41:03 AM »
I would've welcomed it. Whether it would've been done in Vienna or LA, the sonics would've been great...and you're right...it would've had more humanity.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk