Author Topic: DLVDE-Ivan Fischer-BFO  (Read 3082 times)

Offline ChrisH

DLVDE-Ivan Fischer-BFO
« on: August 21, 2020, 01:32:25 PM »
Ivan Fischer's Das Lied von der Erde is up and available on Channel Classics site. Its 2 weeks before the general release.

https://channelclassics.com/catalogue/40020-Mahler-Das-Lied-von-der-Erde/?mc_cid=6764bb5d0f&mc_eid=98ac680bc3

Offline erikwilson7

Re: DLVDE-Ivan Fischer-BFO
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 07:00:52 PM »
I wasn't too impressed by the samples I've heard, but I'm definitely going to give this recording a listen. Who knows, maybe I'll like it!

Robert Dean Smith is appearing on another DLvdE: Vladimir Jurowski's with the Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra on Pentatone (also featuring Sarah Connolly as the contralto [I saw her sing finely in M3 a few years back in Chicago under Andrés Orozco-Estrada; the rest of the performance was bland]). So far I've heard good things about the Jurowski, but I'm not surprised. He does excellent Mahler.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 10:16:21 PM »
Exactly. If I were choose between those two WITHOUT having first heard them, I would choose Connolly/Jurowski/Pentatone over I. Fischer/Domberger (whatever her name is)/Channel Classics. But frankly, I don't care for R.D. Smith enough to anxiously grab either one of them. I would want to hear them first.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 02:20:34 AM »
I would have said the same thing about Stuart Skelton, but he impressed me with the Á. Fischer release.
Not so much the recent Rattle one.

Everyone has their on and off days.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 07:13:29 PM »
I want to correct myself: I did not see Sarah Connolly perform in M3 a few years ago. It was Kelley O’Connor. She’s also quite talented.

She was in the Jaap van Zweden M3 from Dallas.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 07:15:06 PM by erikwilson7 »

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 03:54:44 PM »
So, I've been mulling this recording since I downloaded it. RDS is average at best. Romberg was a very pleasant surprise. Her voice may not have the 'correct' timbre for the work, but her purity of tone and control of her vibrato was refreshing. She was also singing with the orchestra, not a part from it. Lots of nuance, and intelligent singing from her.

Fischer's interpretation was good to great, and I feel like he got back on track with this one. It really reminded me of Kubelik's recording; too bad Fischer didn't get his tenor. It's all very sensitive and natural, really paying attention to how the singers and the orchestra come together. I was planning on being disappointed by this one, but am pleasantly surprised. Will it replace, Klemperer, Kubelik and Sanderling? No, but it's quite enjoyable nonetheless.

One last thing. This may be the best recorded orchestral work I have ever heard.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 06:13:15 PM »
Thanks for your review; it was helpful.

I don't know why or how RDS was cast in so many Das Lieds lately. And you're right: he's not terrible, really. He's just average, and Das Trinklied demands more than average.

I'm not surprised about Romberger. I didn't feel her timbre fit the youthful and mellifluous Von der Schönheit, but I feel like she would be great for Der Einsame im Herbst and Der Abschied. I like that you mentioned nuance too, because I feel that's vital in singing many Mahler lieder convincingly (Das himmlische Leben and the Wunderhorn lieder come to mind).

I also don't understand how Iván Fischer consistently flip-flops with the quality of his Mahler recordings. It's good to hear he's back on his A game.

I'm looking forward to this one more now!

PS: the Sanderling is also one of my favorites. Peter Schreier is a rockstar in Das Trinklied.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 06:15:18 PM by erikwilson7 »

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 07:37:50 PM »
After adding ADAM Fischer to my fleet of "DLvdE" recordings, I don't need either of these!  I have a boat-load now.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 07:58:50 PM »
I do really like the A. Fischer one. It’s one of my top choices personally. The textures are so clear.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 08:09:53 PM »
Picking a favorite would be tough for me. I agree that the texture are incredibly clear on the A. Fischer. I like the combination of Araiza/Fassbaender on the Giulini. Then again, I like the combo of Wimderlich/Ludwig on the Klemperer, and on and on and on it goes. It's a nice problem to have.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 08:25:17 PM »
The only thing I don’t like about the Klemperer is that the third song is too slow. It’s almost four minutes, and is usually three. It doesn’t feel lively enough for me.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 11:52:43 PM »
Yep, I get that. Makes sense.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk