Author Topic: cheap copy of van Zweden/Dallas M3 arriving tomorrow  (Read 2283 times)

Offline barryguerrero

cheap copy of van Zweden/Dallas M3 arriving tomorrow
« on: January 15, 2021, 02:22:49 AM »
I owned a copy of Jaap van Zweden's Dallas M3 when it first came out and sold it off (for some reason). Since then, I've been listening to it more on Spotify and decided I was wrong. It's relatively fast performance with Joe Alessi (N.Y.) playing the trombone solo. The prinipal trumpet uses a flugelhorn on the posthorn solos, and actually manages to keep it in-tune from bottom to top. More to the point, the posthorn solo is played in a more flowing manner; no lingering over every minor cadence point. I just remember that the mezzo, Kelly O'Donnell (something like that) wasn't the best. I think she might have been a sub for someone else. Anyway, I'll be happy to have this back in my collection. I didn't like the cover, which just has a big, fat photo of van Zweden's less than photogenic mug. Still,     .     .   . 

I got curious again because I really, REALLY like the Mahler 5 van Zweden made with the London Phil. I think it's easily as good as the famous Tennstedt one, but slightly different (of course). I also really like van Zweden's Mahler 6, and I like the entire Bruckner cycle he did for Challenge Classics. I think the N.Y. Phil. may have made a really good hire. Unfortunately, Covid got in the way of first (or second) N.Y. season. I think he'll eventually bring lots of good Mahler AND Bruckner to N.Y. and its - hopefully - greatly improved David Geffen Hall.

Offline ChrisH

Re: cheap copy of van Zweden/Dallas M3 arriving tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 05:48:15 PM »
I really enjoy this recording of the M3. A quick corrections, Tom Rolfs, lead in Boston plays the posthorn. Ryan Anthony (RIP) plays  lead on everything else. Rolfs may have actually played it on a posthorn. He has done that previously in Boston. My favorite posthorn playing might be Phil Collins with Cincinnati and Lopez-Cobos, or Fritz Damrow on the Jansons/RCO.

Jap played the M5 with New York in Ann Arbor, Michigan, a couple of years ago. I made the trip. It was pretty quick, quite agressive and the orchestra really seemed to play for him. He had really nice balances between the orchestra. One of my bucket list items was to hear Phil Smith play the M5 live. I didn't get every fufill that (damn you older couple in Leipzig!), but Chris Martin filled his shoes nicely.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 08:25:08 PM »
According to the CD booklet, Thomas Rolfs is playing a posthorn, which is spelled in the personnel roster as "Post horn."
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 08:46:31 PM »
According to the CD booklet, Thomas Rolfs is playing a posthorn, which is spelled in the personnel roster as "Post horn."

It used to be a horn, but not anymore

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 12:18:00 AM »
I have the Zweden/DSO M6th. It's pretty decent but nothing really special. I like Litton/DSO M6th much better.

John

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 12:19:26 AM »
Speaking of Dallas SO M3rds, Litton's Delos recording is one of the great ones.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 03:18:29 AM »
I think the van Zweden M6 is really good, IF you turn waaay up higher than normally would. It's very detailed. It's actually quite a bit like the Boulez, only with even more detail (and stronger hammer strokes). It sounds like nothing when played at normal volume levels.

The Boulez/VPO M6 is my #1 recommendation to 'newbies'. I think it's great.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk