Author Topic: Why I may buy the Vanka/M.O/BIS M10 coming out.  (Read 2075 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Why I may buy the Vanka/M.O/BIS M10 coming out.
« on: January 31, 2021, 06:56:37 PM »
I don't need yet another good recording of Mahler 10 in the Cooke version - I'm happy with the ones I have now. However, I want to support BIS for continuing with the Vanska cycle. Also, it may be nice to have a good one on SACD. The Exton recording of the Samale/Mazzuca version (Sieghart) is also an sacd/cd hybrid. I'll listen to the Vanska M10 on Spotify first, then decide.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 11:21:07 PM by barryguerrero »

Online erikwilson7

Re: Why I may buy the Vanka/MSO M10 coming out.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 07:09:24 PM »
I've only been listening to Vänskä's Mahler on digital for now. When it gets put into a box (and it will, knowing Vänskä and BIS' history) I'll probably get it. Mostly for the sound quality and perfect playing too. To me this cycle is like Boulez meets Chailly, for good or for bad.

Dry-eyed, analytical approaches in crystalline sound, with perfect playing and slightly unusual pacing.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:11:10 PM by erikwilson7 »

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 07:39:25 PM »
Your description is fair, but I think there's even more to it than that. I've really been pleasantly surprised.

Online erikwilson7

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 07:42:29 PM »
Totally agree. The M7 has become my new favorite, and I found the M2 and M4 to be fantastic as well. The 1, 5, and 6 are mostly good, but a bit unusual for my tastes. I still find it hard to take their 12:30-something Adagietto seriously, and I'll never be a fan of the unison basses opening the M1/III.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 10:15:34 PM »
Agreed. I don't mind the 12:30 Adagietto that much, but it is excessive. People make a huge deal over that, yet they say nothing when the slow movement of M6 gets stretched to 17 or 18 minutes. What they fail to take notice of is that the slow movement to M6 is marked "andante moderato", and that the word "langsam" doesn't appear anywhere in the movement. Meanwhile, the Adagietto has passages marked "sehr langsam" all over the place.

I love the two inner movements of Vanska's M6, but the two outer movements have their own, unique problems. When I listen to it in its totality, I don't mind it so much. I may dump it some day, as the Paavo Jarvi one is very good from start to finish (better cowbells on the Vanska). I know we're both looking forward to an eventual Adam Fischer one. Rumor has it that Reference Recordings may start issuing Honeck/Pittsburgh Mahler. I have a feeling that's just wishful thinking.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 11:01:03 PM by barryguerrero »

Online erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 10:38:45 PM »
That would be a dream.

And I'll take an Adagietto anywhere from 8:00-11:30. Anything beyond that and it tends to lose its lyricism. It takes great conducting to convince otherwise. The only 'long' Adagietto that convinced me was Shipway's.

I try to avoid M6 Andantes that are over 16 minutes. That movement should flow.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 10:59:59 PM »
Thumbs up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk