Author Topic: D.H.'s Youtube presentation of Gielen's new "DKL" - I'm buying one!  (Read 2385 times)

Offline barryguerrero

John, I agree with you, in that the SWR orchestra and recordings are just not my favorites. However, this "DKL" is something different. It's with the Vienna Radio Symphony (ORF) and it's recorded in the larger Konzerthaus. I listened to the entire thing on Spotify and it's as good as advertised. I'm hoping they might dig up any other Mahler Gielen might have done there. Anyway, here's David Hurwitz's presentation of it:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFCyPmxSdvc&t=492s
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 08:01:20 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline John Kim

Re: D.H.'s Youtube presentation of Gielen's new "DKL" - I'm buying one!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 07:37:29 PM »
Barry

Thanks for the heads up!

I've always thought the SWR is somewhat lacking in 'the Mahler tone', a bit too abrasive in their phrasing. I thought they're better fit to play modern music, e.g., the Second Viennese. I wonder where DH's enthusiasm about Gielen's cycle comes from.

But I will give this DKL a listen.

John

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 07:44:22 PM »
I see what y'all are saying, but Gielen's Mahler remains some of my favorite, particularly his M1 and M5. I really think he's spot on with tempos and phrasing, and he sees Mahler as a modernist and a rebel, like most people in his day did as well.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 08:03:40 PM »
That said I really like Gielen's M7th & M10th. They are top notch in all aspects. AND the orchestra sounds just right.

John

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 08:16:42 PM »
Yeah admittedly the SWR sound fits some symphonies better than others.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 08:55:32 PM »
I find the finale of Gielen's M7 too poopy for my taste - a tad slow and a bit dour. I have a 'pirate' of another one he did, where the finale is a full minute shorter. His Berlin Phil. one (Testament, I think) is also quicker in the finale. His M10 is very good, but I find the first scherzo just so four-square. It's a tiny bit slow and choppy for my taste. Then again, that entire movement needs to be edited, a bit, and completely re-orchestrated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk