Author Topic: A. Fischer/Dusseldorf M6 stream available at Deutschlandfunk  (Read 3232 times)

Offline barryguerrero

The Mahler 6 (A. Fischer/Dusseldorf) is the third item down on this page. The 'stream' begins with a lot of dialog in German, followed by a Haydn symphony. You need to skip a ways to get to M6. Anyway, this will probably be my next Mahler CD purchase, when it gets released on hard disc. It's a rather quick performance, similar to Ivan Fischer's, but it has that Dusseldorf factor: a more appropriately 'dark', Germanic sound to it. I very much liked Adam Fischer's recent M9 recording, and I like this 'streamed' performance of M6 too. It's in Andante/Scherzo order, and with a third hammer stroke (not my preference, but that's OK). The scherzo is terrific. If someone feels that it's too much of a 'straight forward' performance, lacking in a personal profile of its one, I could understand that. If one feels that it's too similar to Ivan Fischer's already existing M6, I can understand that too. Still, I think it's consistent with the already noted strengths of Adam Fischer's cycle to date, and has that 'dark' and disciplined Germanic tone to it. I suppose it's similar to Kiril Petrenko's Berlin Phil. M6, but I like A Fischer's scherzo more. It's sharper edged, I think.

https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/musik-panorama.1759.de.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 06:25:35 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

Re: A. Fischer/Dusseldorf M6 stream available at Deutschlandfunk
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 12:26:27 PM »
Thanks for this, Barry. How the heck did you stumble across this?
Anyway, I like this a lot. Call me a weirdo, but I've been preferring A/S order the past year or so. For the first few years of my Mahler studying I preferred S/A and shunned the idea of the order reversed, but after giving in and listening to both ways A/S started to sound more structurally balanced to me. I see both sides though, and of course they both work. I see the value in immediately following the first movement with the scherzo, like continuing the major/minor triad motif.

The beginning of the finale sounds creepy and dark as it should. What do you think of that tuba playing?

The hammers sound appropriate, but nothing game-changing. I do really prefer the second one reinforced with cymbals and tams, and it's super powerful here.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 06:10:07 PM »
The tuba player seems fine to me. One thing I like about A. Fischer's finale, is that you can actually hear some of the big harp glissandos that are pasted across Mahler's 'wall of sound' textures in the finale. The Mehta/Israel Phil. M6 is another good one for that particular aspect. I don't mind A/S when it's done well, as it is here. It seems that Fischer begins the scherzo at a tempo that's a bit faster than the beginning of the opening march. In other words, if you're going to do a really fast scherzo, then it works pretty well in the third movement position. I'm glad you like this. It strikes as being 'right' in that "giant Haydn symphony in minor on steroids" approach (note his inclusion of a minor keyed Haydn symphony before M6). I'll definitely be adding this to the collection.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 08:40:42 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 06:41:47 PM »
I have no doubt that I'll be purchasing this box set once it's out. I think the quality of this set compares to KubelĂ­k and early Bernstein. It's a shame they won't record a complete 10th, but I'd rather they leave it out entirely than record just the Adagio. For some reason it always tends to bother me when only that movement is recorded in a set.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 07:25:46 PM »
Understood.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 07:29:00 PM »
To me Boulez's live SKB account eclipses all others. I just can't stop liking the recording.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 08:10:52 PM »
I'll get around to it. I'm just not too keen on downloads at the moment. I also have zero problem with Boulez's DG recording of M6 (I don't care about the under-whelming hammer strokes so much). In addition, I'm very fond of Boulez's early BBC Phil. M6 that had been issued on an Italian pirate label. It's quite different: slow and heavy in the first movement, very fast in the last three movements.

The Adam Fischer will be a disc, and I want hard disc copies of things I really like. I'm a bit like Dave Hurwitz that way.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 10:06:34 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 03:29:14 AM »
It may be A. Fischer's best bet on Mahler thus far. Very polished and beautifully executed, not devoid of fire or energy in excellent sound.

My fingers are crossed for the upcoming CD release.

John

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 03:54:05 AM »
Fischer's Andante (II.) is a beautifully flowing and lyrically surging performance. His Scherzo (III.) which is very refined throughout is full of lively (but edgy) gestures. Again, the playing and sound are top notch. I quite like them.

John
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 03:59:45 AM by John Kim »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 05:10:15 AM »
I have one reservation. In Finale Fischer could have sped up the recapitulation whipping up more energy and drive. Instead, he maintains the steady tempo and here his orchestra 'sounds' like it is losing some steam.

Otherwise, the Finale is pretty excellent too.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 03:54:10 PM »
I think the entire series has been very strong. The M3  is among my very favorite.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk