Author Topic: samples from G. Felz/Dortmund upcoming M9  (Read 2236 times)

Offline barryguerrero

samples from G. Felz/Dortmund upcoming M9
« on: August 03, 2021, 12:08:27 AM »
Here's a link to the JPC (Germany) entry. The links aren't filled out yet, but check out the one for the Rondo-Burlesque. Wow!

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/sinfonien-9-10/hnum/10678699

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 12:10:17 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

Re: samples from G. Felz/Dortmund upcoming M9
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 03:30:27 AM »
Damn! That's quick! I'm eager to hear how much he speeds up at the end. I keep forgetting about these guys because they're so off the radar. I loved that M8 when it came out and I forgot about it after like 20 minutes.

This whole cycle is pretty darn good. Feltz makes some funky interpretive choices, and there are some blemishes in the playing, but it's all live, genuine, and spontaneous. Overall I feel it's a pretty unique cycle, and I may consider getting it someday. For now, Spotify is enough.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 06:26:32 AM »
I'm thinking that if they box up the Felz cycle and issue it at a reasonable price, I just might take the plunge. I'm really a bit annoyed with Dave Hurwitz's dismissal of allegedly 'second tier, provincial' German orchestras. I've known Dave a long time, so I can't take it too seriously. I just don't like this dismissive stance he's been taking on most things Mahler.

Offline shawn

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 03:08:03 PM »
Ironically, the reviewer is quite fond of the SWR orchestra of Baden Baden/Freiburg as conducted by Gielen. Technically speaking that's also a regional band...

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 12:23:37 AM »
Yep. He loves Gielen. Gielen is great, but sometimes I find him just a tad straitjacketed and 'dour' in Mahler. Other times he's right on the money.

Let's not even dare bring up Osmo Vanska's Mahler. That really gets him going. I like much of it.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 12:27:23 AM »
I read his reviews of Vänskä’s recordings and I just don’t hear what he does. It’s like a wine sommelier telling you what to taste for in a wine, but in this case I don’t believe the expert.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 02:40:48 AM »
I really liked Feltz's M6th although the orchestra got a bit shaky in the Finale.

I look forward to this M9th.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk