Author Topic: I've done a turnaround on the Feltz/Dortmund M8  (Read 3266 times)

Offline barryguerrero

I've done a turnaround on the Feltz/Dortmund M8
« on: December 17, 2021, 02:00:57 AM »
I've been doing a long and slow 'retrospective' of Mahler 8 recordings. In the process, I've done a turnaround on the Feltz M8 - it's much better than I had previously thought. It's very well recorded and has one of the best endings to Part II ever. The Feltz is one of three M8 recordings in which the conductor has his unified choruses hang on to the very last syllable they sing in the entire symphony ("hiiiiiiiiiii,naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan") - the other two being the Colin Davis and the JoAnn Faletta ones (both conductors I like very much, in general). While Feltz uses much smaller adult choral forces than usual - just a little over 100 singers each in Chorus I and Chorus II - his children's choir has over 40 members. Thus, he has a higher than normal ratio of children to adults. Remember, Mahler had well over 300 children when he premiered the work in Munich in 1910. I wouldn't go so far as to call the Feltz 'the best', but it's really quite good - better than I had first thought.

I'm sorry to say that I just can't get over the faults of the Jurowski/L.P.O. M8 - namely the quality of the captured sound itself. Vocal soloists tend to be a bit too far forward. There are other small annoyances too. That's too bad, because there really is some terrific playing and choral singing in it. I think the recording would have been more 'flattering' to the vocal soloists, if they had simply been placed farther back in the perspective.

A big 'sleeper' for me is the JoAnn Falletta M8, which was performed and recorded in Virginia. It's not the best recorded, but it's a really nice performance.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 01:51:29 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

Re: I've done a turnaround on the Feltz/Dortmund M8
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 02:33:16 PM »
This post caused me to revisit the recording and you're right: it's quite excellent! I like it again as much as I did when it first came out. My favor faded over the past several months but it really is a good one. The ending is especially great and I agree that it's one of the best on record. It's a low volume recording but the sound quality, once you turn it up, is very good to my ears.

The Feltz team is easily forgettable but the cycle is underrated and shouldn't be overlooked by Mahler fans. I wouldn't say these are "great" recordings, but I'd say they're definitely worth sampling on Spotify or something. These CDs are expensive and hard to find (very little distribution from a super small label, Dreyer-Gaido or something).

While we're at it, Feltz and Dortmund's recordings of the Rachmaninoff symphonies are rather very good too, especially the Third Symphony.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 07:33:24 PM »
I haven't heard Feltz M8th but his latest Mahler recording, M9th is really excellent. His tempi are quite flexible but none of them are disruptive to break the flow of the music. The conducting & playing as committed and involved - technically and emotionally - as one can imagine or hope for. It is definitely the best Feltz-Mahler I've heard so far.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 01:46:42 AM »
Feltz's M9 has a really strong (anti)climax to the first movement too, including a big swipe at the big tam-tam. Nicely done! I'm thinking that Feltz's M9/M10 combo will be the next one I'll pick up. Feltz adds some of his own touches to the "Purgatorio" movement of M10 (Please note: Feltz only performs the first and third movements of M10)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 01:52:44 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 03:14:07 AM »
I’d love to hear other members’ opinions on Feltz’s 1-7 if anyone gets the chance. I’m not sure they’ve been discussed much on here at all.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 06:55:07 AM »
As I had left over trade credit at Streetlight Records, I picked up the Feltz M9/M10 (I and III) set. I was won over by sampling passages and snippets of it at Spotify. I think I'll stop there, as I have tons of recordings that fully satisfy me for the earlier Mahler symphonies.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 12:49:47 PM »
The two you have are the more polished ones anyway. I find Dortmund to be a bit better than the Stuttgart recordings in terms of playing.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 03:14:22 PM »
 The brains of my stereo are coming off the test bench in Colorado. I've not listened to much music since the end of August. Yesterday afternoon was the first time I listened to Mahler in months. My local PBS had a special on a joint Mahler 1 with Luisi, the Dallas Symphony, and the MET orchestra. Having only heard the last movement, I'm sad that I didn't hear the rest. It was a lot like his earlier DVD with Dresden. The orchestra layout was interesting. Everyone was distanced. The stage was extended into the front rows. Horns and tubas against the back wall. Trumpets and trombones in the seats behind the orchestra, bells unimpeded blasting out over the top of the orchestra. It must have been something in the audience. It was a nice surprise on a Sunday afternoon.

So, no Feltz for me at this time. When my stereo is up and running, I have two recordings with Inbal to spin. Both with the Tokyo MET Orchestra. An M8, and a DLVDE. Other than Inbals speedy M3 with the Tokyo, I find the rest of the recordings to be really damned good, if not top of the pile.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 06:37:17 PM »
Those Tokyo Inbal recordings are really, really good. I do like his earlier Frankfurt M3 a bit - just like you do. Good stuff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk