Author Topic: Maazel NYPO M7 broadcast  (Read 5861 times)

Offline akiralx

Maazel NYPO M7 broadcast
« on: July 04, 2007, 04:15:05 PM »

It starts at 27m 40s after a performance by Deborah Voigt.

http://nyphil.org/attend/broadcasts/index.cfm?page=broadcastsByMonth

Some alarmingly slow tempi in I which lasts over 26 mins.  But seems well played. 

I think the rather loud horn solo in II is owing to the microphone placement.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Maazel NYPO M7 broadcast
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 04:24:37 PM »
"I think the rather loud horn solo in II is owing to the microphone placement"

That, and the fact that Phil Meyers can play with an astonishly huge sound! Also, the horn solos are pretty darn big on Maazel's commercial recording of M7 with the VPO.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 05:45:25 PM »
Someone posted a Rapidshare link to this performance on OperaShare.  I've listened to radio rips of Maazel's M1, M5, M6, and some of this M7 with the NYPO.  It's amazing what the right orchestra can do for a conductor.  Although I still do not love Maazel's way with Mahler, there is something very interesting about these performances with the NYPO versus the commercial VPO recordings.  There is just more intesity, more oomph to the big moments.  For example, in this NYPO M7 Maazel really stretches out the brass fanfares near the end of the finale (about thirty seconds before the final run to the finish).  This was obviously something that HE chose to do here that he did not do with the VPO -- and it is exactly how I like to hear this section done.   This is a L-O-N-G performance overall.   
Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 07:50:19 PM »
I have downloaded this and will listen soon...sounds like a wonderful performance!!!.

--Leo

Offline mahlerbone

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 03:06:01 AM »
I attended this performance on Saturday, the 23rd of June.  The orchestra played magnificently, but Maazel conducted it so slowly.  I felt that any forward momentum and intensity in the music was ruined by his interpretation.  It sounds like the music is in slow-motion at times.  After the concert I started chatting with a Julliard student who sat near me, and he felt the same way as I did.  I told him to check out the new Barenboim recording or the MTT/LSO performance for a truly exciting M7. 

I'm listening to the broadcast now, and I like it a little better now than I did at the concert, but it's still way too darn slow.  I'm now remembering that I thought that tempos of the middle movements were OK, and I really loved how he conducted the third movement.  It's just that the first and last movements are too much on the slow side for me.  It's this reason that I never liked that Chailly M7, and I've always felt that his M7 was the weakest in his cycle.

What's interesting is that I heard Maazel conduct M3 a couple years ago, and I timed the first movement at 39 minutes.  Does he always conduct Mahler this slowly?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 03:10:40 AM by mahlerbone »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 05:07:31 AM »
Wow! How's it even possible to stretch M3/1 to 39 minutes?!? He's a great conductor (technically) who's just out of his mind, apparently.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 05:49:06 AM »
Oooooooh I wish I could hear that!!!

--Leo

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 07:02:50 PM »
It's this reason that I never liked that Chailly M7, and I've always felt that his M7 was the weakest in his cycle.

I agree entirely. The finale is especially dull.  I pretty much love the rest of the cycle. 
Scott

Offline mahlerbone

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 02:15:41 AM »
Wow! How's it even possible to stretch M3/1 to 39 minutes?!? He's a great conductor (technically) who's just out of his mind, apparently.

Barry

Yes, my friend and I were both shocked when we attended that performance.  The rest of the symphony was fairly up to tempo, but my gosh, that first movement!  At times I wanted to yell out, "Speed up!!!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk