Author Topic: (off topic) Klaus Makela seems to be heading to Amsterdam  (Read 2344 times)

Offline John Kim

(off topic) Klaus Makela seems to be heading to Amsterdam
« on: May 29, 2022, 06:11:51 PM »
Thus I heard, to become the chief conductor of RCO.

John

Offline lschmitz

Re: (off topic) Klaus Makela seems to be heading to Amsterdam
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 09:00:23 AM »
It would be an interesting choice and there is real chemistry between him and the RCO.

I am wondering though how long it will be until he actually takes up the post (his contracts in Oslo and Paris run through 2027). Also, given the fact that he has a contract with Decca, I am hoping we will see actual studio recordings again. I don't think the RCO's live label is a big success, and the live recordings all have this fuzzy and muffled sound that is inherent to a live recording. I am longing to hear what can be achieved in the studio.

If the RCO is smart and cares about its legacy, it should produce a Mahler studio cycle with Mäkelä. In a much-overcrowded field, it's a way to stand out.

Offline barryguerrero

Re: (off topic) Klaus Makela seems to be heading to Amsterdam
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 07:18:35 AM »
A studio cycle would most likely need to paid for by a record label - something that's not likely to happen at this time. If the RCOA were to produce it themselves, it would surely be from live performances. Does Makela have much experience with Mahler?

Just speaking for myself, this wouldn't interest me unless it were something truly special. After the fiasco of how they handled the D. Gatti situation, and after the curt and dismissive response I received from the RCOA over my request that they produce more of Gatti's Amsterdam Mahler, I frankly don't much care what the Concertgebouw does at this point. The strings and woodwinds are just as good in Prague. The Czech Phil. brass and percussion are almost as good (the Czech horns are greatly improved these days, with members of the section often times playing on Engelbert Schmitt triple horns). With that being the case, I'm looking forward to more Mahler from Semyon Bychkov in Prague.

Later on, after being thoroughly annoyed:  .    .   .  Good. They can hire a talented yet somewhat placid Finn to lead their boring Dutch selves, and produce another series of snooze-fests like they did with Jansons. I'm beginning see why after much initial enthusiasm, Mahler was not anxious to relocate or even return to Amsterdam.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 11:02:37 PM by barryguerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk