Author Topic: Klaus Makela conducts Mahler 9th.  (Read 2369 times)

Offline John Kim

Klaus Makela conducts Mahler 9th.
« on: June 12, 2022, 06:04:48 PM »
The 26 year old newly appointed RCO chief conductor Klaus Makela conducts Mahler Ninth!

https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/100250-000-A/klaus-maekelae-conducts-symphony-n-9-by-mahler/

John

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Klaus Makela conducts Mahler 9th.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 06:55:38 AM »
Interesting to see a French orchestra use German rotary valve trumpets and a Wuhan tam-tam (18:30). Now it's only in England where they don't use Wuhans, but those crappy sounding Paistes instead.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 06:50:23 PM »
This is an outstanding Mahler Ninth by all accounts.

I like Makela's Mahler more than Makela's Sibelius.

Let's have some confidence in him becoming the chief conductor in Amsterdam.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 11:06:46 PM »
I'll hold my opinion for when more results appear. I'm skeptical. But then again, it's the Concertgebouw - they already know their Mahler backwards and forwards. I'm just hoping it won't be more neutral, inoffensive, vanilla Mahler like the Concertgebouw made with Jansons. I get the impression the Dutch don't like anyone to ruffle-up their feathers. I've been sort of shocked to find just how even Haitink was considered sort of a controversial figure there. That's gratitude for you. Personally, I like Rotterdam better.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 11:10:40 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline akiralx

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 02:49:15 AM »
I get the impression the Dutch don't like anyone to ruffle-up their feathers. I've been sort of shocked to find just how even Haitink was considered sort of a controversial figure there. That's gratitude for you. Personally, I like Rotterdam better.

Haitink did say that being a big success can offend many Dutch people as if it’s somehow unseemly - something to do with a Calvinist mindset.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk