Author Topic: Found streaming video of Vanska/MN Orch. M8 - good picture and good sound!  (Read 2209 times)

Offline waderice

Good performance of Part I, which I listened to!  Some portions sounded a little rushed to me.

A few more children in this performance than there were in Philadelphia a few years ago, though I think there were some more in the adult choirs of the Philadelphia performances, which I attended.

The organ comes through quite well!

Lordy, microphones all over the place, though that probably helped to cover blind spots of the orchestration.

Wade
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 12:00:05 PM by waderice »

Offline John Kim

Thanks.

The sound & picture are great. The singers are excellent. Vanska keeps things moving and flowing.

John

Offline barryguerrero

Yeah, I think it'll make for a pretty good commercial recording, especially with BIS turning the knobs. What will be interesting to see, is if Carolyn Sampson covers two soprano parts as she apparently did here (one soprano cancelled out). Barry Banks sounded pretty good this time. It'll certainly have organ pedals.

Offline John Kim

The organ is unusually prominent throughout. I've never heard so many details hidden in the organ notes!

The upcoming BIS SACD may turn out to be the best sounding M8th we'll ever have.

BTW, when is their M9th due out?

John

Offline barryguerrero

I've been wondering that myself, John. I've bugged R. von Bahr enough already, so I didn't want to bug him again with that question. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer you directly.

I think there's a perception in the record industry - what little left there is of one - that new releases don't sell in the summer, especially classical. But I think plenty of listeners/consumers get bored, and would gladly buy something during the summer. I know I would.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 04:44:40 AM by barryguerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk