Author Topic: Covid on the rise throwing wrench into future Mahler bookings (?)  (Read 2149 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Since they can't get Covid fully eradicated, I'm thinking that future bookings of Mahler cycles will be nearly non-existent. Many halls, such as Davies in S.F., are having trouble getting 'full houses'. Many listeners are simply not returning. Worse yet, there's a dangerous, virulent Covid that's happening in India right now. Unless India is able to get it stamped out (not likely), it's bound to make its way to other places. I guess we have to be thankful that Minnesota has squeaked by (only M3 remains), but one wonders if the Bychkov/Czech Phil./Pentatone cycle will really get off the ground. Your thoughts.

Offline ChrisH

Re: Covid on the rise throwing wrench into future Mahler bookings (?)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 05:52:04 PM »
Covid has just accelerated what was already in the works. Orchestras world wide are down and have  been for years. The world, for the most part, has passed the classical music world by. Sadly, it seems most of them don't want to embrace the new world.

I'm not that hyped on the Vanska cycle. If that's completed or not, it doesn't really bother me. I would like to hear a complete Bychkov cycle, but if it doesn't happen, I won't lose any sleep over it. The amount of Mahler recordings I have now would last me a lifetime without any new additions. Maybe this slow down will actually invigorate the recording industry. Maybe new Mahler recordings could become special again. Doubtful.

Covid will never be eradicated. There are too many animal reservoirs of virus to end it as we have other virus'. It's something that we all will have to live with.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 06:03:58 PM »
I am afraid to say that classical music was declining even before the Covid. Covid is only accelerating it.

If you check www.hmv.co.jp you will see what I mean. Compared to say, 10 years ago, the number of new classical music recordings per year is way smaller and it keeps decreasing. Instead, I see bunch of big box sets being dumped out by major recording companies. Sad ...

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 10:48:37 PM »
I hear what you guys are saying. However, I'm thinking more in terms of 'live performances' than actual recordings. I just think it's shame if future generations don't have the the option to hear good, live performances of Mahler, wherever it is that they may live. I agree that there are MORE than plenty of good recordings already. But as so many people are so eager to point out, a recording is no substitute for the real thing (in some respects it is, though).

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 11:58:00 PM »
I do think that Mahler is unusually lucky in concert halls, putting more bodies in seats than the average concert.
In my experience, at least. There may be less Mahler concerts due to the music’s demands, but they will still sell well.

We will likely see less recordings in general of all composers. I think Mahler recordings will be hurt more than Mahler concerts (even if they are less frequent).

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 05:06:46 PM »
I'm still amazed they just pulled off an M8 in Minneapolis. I would very much like for them to perform/record M3 and get the Vanska/BIS cycle completed. It started out so-so, but I think the more recent releases have been pretty darn competitive. We have it good, that's for sure. I just hope this bloody Covid business comes to an eventual end.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 04:14:28 AM »
I think I said this before, but the Vänskä cycle is better as a whole than its parts. If you want to hear every note of the scores, regardless of conducting interpretation, this will be the one to beat. Even tops Boulez in that matter (though I think Boulez’s cycle is better on the whole). I could still be proven wrong with M8 (most difficult to capture everything), and M3.

Offline waderice

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 01:39:49 PM »
Aside from Mahler recordings and performances, live concerts in general need to have COVID protocols in place to assure compliance by concertgoing patrons to keep COVID under control.  For example, my wife and I would be denied admittance to the Kimmel Concert Campus in Philadelphia unless we (1) wear a mask and keep it on at all times while on the campus, (2) prior to entrance, show proof of up-to-date COVID vaccination, and (3) present proof of legal personal identification (driver's license) to back up the proof of COVID vaccination.

Wade

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 06:10:10 PM »
I think that's fair. I think most 'responsibility minded' Americans can meet that requirement. It doesn't bother me to keep my mask on (unless it's extreme hot). I know that concert halls frequently draw older crowds, and keeping a mask on can be difficult for some older folks. It's all very understandable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk