Author Topic: customer reviews of Abbado/Lucerne F.O. M6 on DVD from Euroarts  (Read 14028 times)

Offline barry guerrero

These customer reviews were given at Amazon. As you'll plainly see, they rave about this Euroarts DVD of Abbado/Lucerne F.O. doing M6. I plan to pick one up in the next month or so. I'm in no big hurry, but I do want to see it.

Wonderful Mahler, Wonderful Lucerne Festival Orchestra, Bravo Abbado!, July 7, 2007
By  DAVID A. FLETCHER (Richmond, Va United States) - See all my reviews

I have to say there was one central thought running through my head as my first hearing/viewing of this terrific new installment of the Abbado/Lucerne/Mahler cycle poured out of my speakers and screen: what a truly fine orchestra this is! I mean...truly! They started out terrific from the moment of maestro Abbado's reconstitution of the organization some years back. They were--and are--hand-picked by Abbado, from both the Berlin Philharmonic and assorted world-renowned chamber groups and instrumentalists. Every year, with every performance, the group has consistently refined and enhanced its signature "sound," which has--to Abbado's credit--survived various and sundry recording balances. To describe it to someone coming to this series for the first time, the effect is something like a magical blend of those elements of the BPO and, say, the LSO, that find themselves complimentary. Let's call it BPO "heft," and LSO "finesse," to complete the point. The strings alone have the old Berlin suavity of the Karajan era, but with a much more careful delineation of texture and attack. Brass--inlcuding those all-important solo moments from trumpet to tuba--are wonderfully present yet firmly integrated into the mix. Wind color is beautifully caught, with consistently spot-on intonation. The ensemble reacts with chamber orchestra quickness to every nuance of Abbado's gestures, grimaces, or smiles.

So, what of Mahler? To be fair, I personally might have wanted just a bit more menace a la Bernstein (oh, I can hear the cat-calls now...but no matter), but the beauty of the playing clearly carries the day. The pacing of the opening tread is near ideal, neither rushed nor ponderous. The alpine cowbells make their presence known subtly but clearly, and the accompanying breeze of string chimera has the requisite magic to complete the effect. And speaking of strings, those wonderful Lucerne strings, the second movement Andante is (and you hate to say this when discussing Mahler) to die for. That yearning, burnished tone that is so echt-Mahler is fully realized. The Scherzo--played as you've guessed in third position, which bothers some (but not me)--is terrifically characterized in the classic scherzo sense. It is a macabre, sometimes sinister, sardonically playful joke of a movement, taunting our Tragic Hero with shallow brass guffaws. It's the "Laendler of Death." Skeletal xylophone accents, insistent tympany, all propelled by string rhythms that carry more than a hint of Old Scratch.

If the opening seems to hang fire just a tad, the Finale. Allegro. is the intended beneficiary. Abbado clearly aims the narrative arch of Mahler's creation to the hope-against-hope yearning of the symphony's concluding half hour. The panoply of emotion is written all over Abbado's face, with each smiling, soaring cycle of the violins' big tune, only to be crushed each time by the earth-shattering hammer blow (theatrically shot and stunningly recorded) and its attendant brass pronouncement. Abbado is clearly both overcome and drained by the experience, and has to visibly collect himself for several moments after the final notes have sounded and his baton has dropped. Mahler's "Tragic" symphony is a journey to that land where the end is not a happy one, we know that it won't be, and yet we rail against it each step of the way. To this end, Mahler has found a champion in maestro Abbado, whose personal tragedy and triumph clearly indicate just how close to home the weight of this music strikes.

Abbado himself looks good, his life-threatening illness now held at bay. The orchestra visibly adores its music director, and the affair is mutual. The Lucerne Festival audience cleary realizes just how special each Abbado/LFO occasion is, and the warmth of their response is almost akin to what you experience with a Vienna Philharmonic New Year's concert. We can only hope that health and good fortune continue to come the way of Abbado and the Lucerne Festival, and that his reputation as one of Mahler's greatest living champions is embellished with future performances and releases in this landmark cycle.

David Fletcher
Richmond, VA

Comment | Was this review helpful to you?   (Report this)

Stunning Mahler from Abbado and the LFO, July 3, 2007
By  Michael (London) - See all my reviews

The recent music making of Claudio Abbado, that of roughly the last seven or eight years, has been nothing short of legendary, and while some may attribute this to his near-death bout with stomach cancer, none will deny the performances of astonishying depth and profundity, particularly in Mahler, that have marked his appearances with the Berlin Philharmonic and the Lucerne Festival Orchestra, the magnificent ensemble he founded four years ago. Featuring many of the finest soloists and chamber musicians in the world, Abbado's Lucerne performances have been glorious, and this latest addition is perhaps the most searing, probing, and desperate Mahler performance of the bunch, which includes a stirring Resurrection and exhilarating 5th symphony. What is even more astounding is the stunning cohesion and uniformity of this ensemble, considering that the musicians meet for a mere week of rehearsal; still further, these musicians have never played with one another, and many have not even played this piece! The profundity therein may be attributed to complete dedication and the chamber-music attitude which Abbado espouses; given the intensity with which they listen to one another, perhaps it is no surprise that entrances are immaculate, ensemble perfect. What is harder to account for, however, is the unanimity of expression, every note and phrase invested with meaning. The performance is quite similar to that of the acclaimed Abbado/BPO CD, which won Gramophone's Record of the Year. Certain moments are in fact identical, not just in tempo, but sound; how two different ensembles can sound so similar, never mind the impossible talent of each, is astonishing, and this can only be attributed to the leadership of Abbado. For those who doubt the importance of a conductor, listen to these two performances, feel the way in which an inexorable tragic construct is identically invested with incomparable fluidty and expressiveness. Abbado's approach is classicaly tragic and opposed to the thrilling manicness which marks Bernstein's legendary Vienna recording. While Bernstein's first movement is exuberant, intense, Abbado creates a darker mood, his tempo more measured, the sense of impending tragedy present. The andante is searingly beautiful, perhaps the most exquisite I've heard, slightly more singing, less intense than his equally gorgeous Berlin performance. The scherzo is less heavy than his Berlin CD, but what a scherzo it is, full of nuance, irony, and bite. I find Bernstein's scherzo comparatively over-bearing and one-dimensional. The great Lenny excels the most in his brutal and blood-and-guts finale, and those who want Euripedean furor may be adverse to the multi-dimensional tragic portrait which Abbado elucidates. Bernstein IS Mahler's hero, he becomes the screaming protagonist fighting the inexorability of fate, and if Abbado's interpretation has less struggle, it is equally powerful. Like his Berlin recording, one wishes the brass were stronger at the hammer blow moments, though the Lucerne bass trombonist is quite forceful after the second one. The hammer blows are overwhelming in both performance, the second one more impactful in this DVD. The march section of this movement is more propulsive than that of the Berlin CD. The dedication of these artists is inspiring, Abbado's conducting poignant; this DVD is highly recommended.

Comment | Was this review helpful to you?   (Report this)

An affirming, powerful performance!, July 3, 2007
By  Denis (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews

This is an awesome performance of what is probably the greatest tragic symphony in the history of music, alongside the Tchaikovsky Pathetique. Abbado's own brush with death a few short years ago seems to have brought him to the heart of this work, where he finds not despair and hopelessness but affirmation and beauty in spite of life's cruel challenges. There is an usual lyricism and tenderness in Abbado's approach, and the orchestra players are with him all the way to the final, crushing closing chord of the symphony. Then ... silence ... a long silence offering only a shudder as if the wind had been knocked out of everyone. It's over.

A few details about this performance: The exposition repeat is taken in the first movement which moves along an a moderate tempo. The slow movement, at a fairly quick andante, is taken second, not third as it is usually done. (I prefer the order Abbado takes here, and it makes perfect sense in supporting his overall conception of the work.) The scherzo, placed third, is marvelously played, full of nuance and color. The huge, sprawling canvas of the last movement unfolds, not as a march toward death, but as a search for life. Although there are only two hammerblows, they are powerfully executed ... and I do mean "executed." And the effect is perfect to send a tremor through one's being.

At the end, Abbado stands silently before the orchestra, collecting himself as if coming slowly out of a frightening descent into the abyss. And he has taken us with him on the journey.

If you love the Mahler Sixth, you owe it to yourself to get this and hear and see it for yourself. You will not be disappointed.

Offline Last_Evolution

Re: customer reviews of Abbado/Lucerne F.O. M6 on DVD from Euroarts
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:18:40 PM »
Are you sure that they are customers?  :o
I have seen TV broadcast of this performance and I thought that I will die out of boredom, actually I had to force myself to finish watching it. It wasn't Mahler at all.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 03:49:17 PM »
Prior to reading the above reviews, I would have anticipated that anyone liking Abbado's BPO M6 would also like his LFO DVD.  The reviews seem to echo that line of thinking.  I really liked Abbado's BPO M6, even though it is a good bit "lighter" than Lennie or Eschenbach.  So buying this one is a no-brainer for me.  I just have to figure out how to "re-program" the inner movements to my preferred S-A order (I am far too lazy to push the Forward/Back chapter button on my remote). 
Scott

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 05:00:22 PM »
I plan to pick one up in the next month or so. I'm in no big hurry, but I do want to see it.

You will be relieved, Barry, that you will not have to watch your favorite oboist, Albrecht Mayer, bob about. Kai Froembgen sits in that chair.

The second reviewer cited is mistaken in believing these players have not performed together before, for the Lucerne Orchestra incorporates the Mahler Chamber Orchestra and members of the Ensemble Sabine Meyer.

Although my impression while watching this performance was that it moved along somewhat briskly, the fact is that this a slower treatment--in all movements, but particularly in the last--than Abbado's earlier recordings. That perception of time is, I believe,  a product of seeing while listening.

(The hammer blows, which seem to fascinate so many, are done just right, IMHO.)

. & '

Offline Damfino

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 07:47:16 PM »
I will Netflix® it when it is available.  Reviews that make a big deal out of Abbado's "brush with death" somehow making the performance more memorable mean nothing to me.  The same sort of thing was said about MTT and the SFSO performing the Sixth the weekend following Sept 1, 2001.  I think a performance is either good or not, and one should be able to enjoy it (or not) without bringing in outside influences. 

Heck, for all we know, Abbado himself may not have felt any sort of affinity with the music in relation to his own health.  If he did, then I bet he got depressed about those hammer blows and the last chord.  Artists do not always have to apply music (or a stage or film role) to their own lives.  Maybe Abbado is a "method" conductor?

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 04:42:05 PM »
I watched/listened to the Bernstein VPO performance of M6 last night for comparison with the Abbado Lucerne performance.

Lennie seems frenetic in comparison (no surprise), while the orchestra is quite staid---mit streng ordnung--and all men, of course. It seemed to me that the camera-work was markedly superior with the Vienna, but then, the director and crew had a good deal of experience working with Lenny.

The younger Lucerne group seemed, in performance, like bees swarming in comprison with the VPO, and while the camera work was not so practiced, the Lucerne sound seemed much fuller than did the Vienna DVD.

Any other takes out there?

. & '

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 02:23:36 AM »
I listened/watched this DVD on-and-off this afternoon while I was organizing some boxes.  As I expected, I liked the performance quite a bit eventhough there were a few items that bothered me (as with just about any performance).  The very end of the symphony is done as well I've ever heard it -- quite devastating really.  Abbado really draws out the final bars, and supplements the final note with a bass drum thud.  Abbado looks like he is struggling (quite literally) to compose himself for 30 seconds or so after the end.  I may have a chance to spin it again tomorrow morning. 
Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 03:41:10 AM »
Thanks Scott, hopefully I can get this soon...

--Leo

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 05:35:38 PM »
I was able to have a fairly uninterrupted listening session again this morning (with the exception of dog barking, phone ringing, and door bell dinging).  Indeed this is a very intense and well performed M6.  The few minor annoyances that I thought I noticed yesterday are still there. 

• The cowbells are buried in their return during the Andante (they are good earlier in the movement and again in the finale, though). 
  • The harps are not quite audible enough for my taste.
  • The tam-tam stroke about 30 seconds after the second hammer blow is stopped too quickly (i.e. needs to ring on).  That said the tam-tam is a monster and is done very well in the other spots

In the grand scheme of things, those are very small problems. 

Timings compared to his Berlin SACD:  Abbado is about a minute longer in the first movement and finale.  He is about 30 seconds longer in the Andante.  All of this makes the performance more effective.  I and IV are more appropriately weighty.  The Andante (placed 3rd by my use of the chapter keys on my remote  ;D ) has some added emotion/feeling.  Thankfully, Abbado does not overly rush the "swell" of emotion toward the end of the Andante.  The scherzo is almost identically timed in both performances.  Again, I was absolutely torn apart by the end of the symphony!

This one moves right to the top (along with Lennie) of my favorite M6 DVD's.   ;D
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 07:04:28 PM »
Thanks for your detailed description. I'm going to try to pick this up as well. It doesn't seem to be around in stores here, for some reason. Anyway, unless you've got four harps seated somewhere forward, it's impossible to make them cut through the louder bits. That's one reason why I like the Mehta/Isarael Phil. M6: they seemed to have cracked an accent mike near the harps to some degree. It actually adds a lot to the louder passages, if you can hear the harps doing their back and forth, up and down glissandos.

I'm glad that you discussed the very end of the symphony because that's actually quite important to me. One big reason why I've always liked the Chailly M6 recording, is because he takes that very final A-minor outburst, accompanied by the "fate motif" in the kettle drums, very slowly indeed.

One question:  Do they give good visual shots of the two hammer strokes? I can't imagine that they wouldn't.

Barry
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 06:43:50 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 12:56:54 AM »
Thanks for your detailed description. I'm going to try to pick this up as well. It doesn't seem to be around in stores here, for some reason. Anyway, unless you've got four harps seated somewhere forward, it's impossible to make them cut through the louder bits. That's one reason why I like the Mehta/Isarael Phil. M6: they seemed to have cracked an accent mike near the harps to some degree. It actually adds a lot to the louder passages, if you can hear the harps doing doing their big back and forth, up and down glissandos.

I'm glad that you discussed the very end of the symphony because that's actually quite important to me. One big reason why I've always liked the Chailly M6 recording, is because he takes that very final A-minor outburst, accompanied by the "fate motif" in the kettle drums, very slowly indeed.

One question:  Do they give good visual shots of the two hammer strokes? I can't imagine that they wouldn't.

Barry

The fact that the camera focuses on the harps, probably exacerbates the problem of not being able to hear them clearly enough.  As for the hammer blows, they are impressive both visually and audibly. 

Scott

Offline akiralx

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 03:23:58 PM »

If you haven't bought them separately you may wish to spring for this boxset that Euroarts have issued this month - particularly as you get a bonus DVD of Pollini playing Beethoven's Fourth Concerto. 

Doesn't include the M2 and M7 which presumably fall outside the 5 year remit of the box.

http://www.amazon.com/Lucerne-Festival-Orchestra-First-Years/dp/B000T90Z8Y/ref=sr_1_1/103-1623115-1967829?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1186413492&sr=8-1

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 04:24:19 PM »
That's one reason why I like the Mehta/Isarael Phil. M6: they seemed to have cracked an accent mike near the harps to some degree. It actually adds a lot to the louder passages, if you can hear the harps doing doing their big back and forth, up and down glissandos.

Well I had completely forgot about the Mehta/Israel M6, and I do not know why.  I used to think of it as one of my favorites, but have rather dismissed it every time I thought about M6 in the past few years.  I gave this one a spin yesterday and it is a splendid performance.  The overall performance is on the brisk side, but is well done.  Besides the aforementioned harps, the lower brass are VERY strong throughout.  Even though the finale comes in at less than 29', the opening is very weighty and brooding.  Mehta takes the last few measures of the symphony at the faster "marching" speed -- my preference is for the stretched out way of Abbado/LFO and Chailly (I'll need to figure out who else does it this way -- Bertini/TMSO is another "quick" finisher).  The Andante is perfectly felt at around 15': good cowbells, tam-tam, and Mehta does not overly accelerate where the music swells -- all well done in my book.  One thing about which I criticised the Abbado/LFO is repeated by Mehta:  the tam-tam about 30 seconds after the second hammer blow in the finale is dulled after a count of about 1.  Perhaps I am just off base here, but I prefer to let it ring for a few seconds here.  OTOH, the tam-tam is also struck and immediately dulled at the point after the removed third hammer blow.  So perhaps dulling it after the second one is consistent and indeed correct.   
Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 04:54:54 AM »
Scott, thanks again for your detailed reports!

--Leo

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 06:31:46 AM »
I finally found a local Borders Books & Music that had it, and just used a 20% off coupon. I see that the finally stretches out to 33 minutes! I wouldn't have expected that from Abbado. Anyway, I'm sure I'll like it just fine. As I said, I like hearing the last 15 seconds of the piece done slower than usual. Funny, but I actually have spent a fair amount of time in and around Lucerne (Luzern) on two different occassions. I've also been up on Mount Riggi, where Brahms heard the alphorn that allegedly inspired his solo horn writing in the finale of his first symphony. I've certainly have heard plenty of Mahler's pastoral cowbell sounds in that vicinity - it's everywhere outside of the city. The Lucerne locals must have felt right at home when Abbado did the sixth symphony there.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk