Author Topic: <TAR> wins the Best Film of 2022 Award by the New York Film Critics Circle.  (Read 1797 times)

Offline John Kim

The lead actress Cate Blanchett who played the controversial conductor and composer, Lydia Tar wins the Best Actress.

AND YET I haven't seen anybody here talking about the movie.

Has anybody watched it??

John

Offline erikwilson7

I haven't seen it yet, but my friends say there's a lot of Mahler Fifth in the first half or so. Pretty in depth, too.

I want to see it.

Offline John Kim

Erik

It is streaming almost everywhere now.

John
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 07:40:10 PM by John Kim »

Offline barryguerrero

My domestic partner wants to see it, so I'll probably catch it at some point. As a general rule, I steer wide of movies that deal with conductors. That has a lot to do with what I feel - from lots of musical experience - what a conductor actually is, and what they should and shouldn't be doing. I don't buy into the 'mystical avatar' sort of business. To me, they're no better or no worse than a really good plumber.

Offline John Kim

Barry,

If authenticity matters a lot to you, you'll like it that the first 20 min. or so of the film is all about music: Tar's New York stage interview followed by her lengthy class at Juilliard^

And speaking of the rehearsal scene in which Tar and BPO are engaged in rehearsing Mahler Fifth (the final symphony to be recorded for their Mahler cycle), it is really well done. Very intense, realistic with lots of small details, and superbly directed.

The whole film has a Stanley Kubrick feel attached to it, e.g., the steady pacing, classy sets, wide angle cinematography, and a couple of 'abstract' images: the director Todd Field worked with Kubrick on <Eyes Wide Shut>.

John
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 05:07:20 AM by John Kim »

Offline barryguerrero

OK, fair enough. Christina wants to see it, so I'll probably see it at some point. Every movie I've ever seen involving classical musicians - particularly conductors - just makes me cringe. Maybe this one won't.

Offline John Kim

Quite frankly, I am shocked that NO musicians I know have seen the film. Maybe they did but don't want to talk about it?

John

Offline John Kim

Today, it won the Best Picture, Actress, Director, and Screenplay at the 2022 LA Film Critics Awards.

John

Offline barryguerrero

John, many working, professional musicians want to 'get away' from that topic in their spare time, just like most everyone else wants to get away from their line of profession. Many people - and I'm not accusing you of this at all! - think that musicians and other artists, breathe in their art 24/7/365. Some do, but they're the minority. It doesn't surprise me in the least that other musicians haven't wanted to see this film.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk