Author Topic: Time for the best and worst Mahler of 2022  (Read 1538 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Time for the best and worst Mahler of 2022
« on: December 13, 2022, 04:07:08 AM »
Was Michael Gielen's "Das Klagende Lied" on Orfeo released this year or last year?   .    .   .  If it was 2022, then that's my best recording for the year. If it was from 2021, then my best recording pick goes to the new S. Rattle/Bavarian Radio S.O./BR Klassik Mahler 9 that just came out. I think an 'honorable mention' should go to the flawed but gutsy box set of Mahler symphonies conducted by Gabriel Feltz. The 8th from that set is unique and really quite good in its own way.

My best 'live performance' was the broadband broadcast I heard of Mahler 3 from Manchester's Bridgewater Hall, with the Halle Orchestra led by Mark Elder. It was idiomatic, and had some genuine feeling to it.

My worst for 2022?     .     .     .   Honestly, there were so few Mahler recordings released in 2022, that I can't think of a real stinker. I must say, I'm not thrilled with all the reductions of Mahler symphonies and "Das Lied von der Erde" that keep coming out. I just don't see the point. As a live performance to go see your friends do in a church, sure - that's great! But to make commercial recordings of (?)    .     .     .    . 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 12:39:08 AM by barryguerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk