Author Topic: Among my many 'should have/could have' overlooks . . . Tabakov Mahler  (Read 4861 times)

Offline barryguerrero

I would like revisit the Tabakov Mahler cycle on Capriccio. Anybody have a lead on the boxset?    .    .    .  Amazon has a used one for $45, plus $4 shipping from a third party.

Offline erikwilson7

I don't have a lead. That Amazon price is actually pretty decent considering the relative rarity of this cycle.

This is one of the weirdest Mahler cycles, and I mean that in a good way. There's really nothing else like it. As you already know, the orchestra isn't "world-class" (I don't like using that term), but in my opinion that in effect makes the performances more exciting. The finale of the 7th is fantastic, edge-of-your-seat action. I really get a sense of the orchestra trying their hardest to pull it off.

Offline barryguerrero

I remember liking M3, M6, M7 and M9 quite a bit. M8 was a complete disaster, as I vaguely recall. I can't remember the M2 at all. Anyway, thanks for chiming in with that info, Erik.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 08:59:06 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline barryguerrero

THEY'RE ON YOUTUBE!   .   .    .  the whole bloody cycle. No need to purchase one.

Offline Roland Flessner

Also on Idagio, in case you prefer to listen from a reputable source.

Offline barryguerrero

Thanks, but I think Youtube will suffice. Sound quality was not one of the redeeming qualities of Tabakov's cycle.

Offline Roland Flessner

By "reputable" I meant ethical, as in payment to the musicians/label, not in reference to SQ. May or may not happen with YT, definitely does with Idagio.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 11:50:03 PM by Roland Flessner »

Offline erikwilson7

That’s something I’ve always admired about Idagio. For royalties, they pay out per second streamed, right?

This is as opposed to most services, which pay a flat rate per stream — something that certainly hurts classical artists with less ‘tracks’ on their albums.

Offline barryguerrero

I didn't know that, Roland. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I will use Idagio then.

Offline Roland Flessner

Yes, Idagio pays per second.

For the popular genres, Darol Anger recommends Tidal. I don't know details of their payment model but it is more fair to musicians than per-stream services. Mr. Anger is an extraordinary violinist whose work crosses genres--bluegrass, New Age, classical (such as Turtle Island String Quartet). He's had a long career and is still very active. I buy his albums on sight.

Also, Bandcamp seems to operate as a musicians' collective, offering streaming, downloads, and physical media a la carte. When you buy something, you can include a message to the musician. It's nice that in our impersonal modern era we can still find ways to support the artists who bring us meaning and participate in communities of shared interests.

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Among my many 'should have/could have' overlooks . . . Tabakov Mahler
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2024, 03:04:21 AM »
I'm very familiar with Darol Anger. I saw the Turtle Island Quartet numerous times in the past.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk