Author Topic: Inbal/5th/FRSO  (Read 18372 times)

Wunderhorn

Inbal/5th/FRSO
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:08:36 PM »
I've only heard Bernstein/Vienna, Inbal/FRSO, Maazel/Vienna of Mahler's 5th and I would say it is a close call between Bernstein and Inbal. Inbal has better sound which comes out richer in the 'stringy' climax in the finale. I'm not especially excited over idiosyncratic recordings. Does anyone have a recommendation?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 12:21:42 AM by Wunderhorn »

Offline david johnson

Re: Inbal/5th/FDRSO
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 12:08:08 AM »
i listened to about 20 intros to that work last week to compare some trumpet styles.

the ones that sounded as though they would continue to be good beyond that point were -

maazel/vpo
mehta/nypo
levi/atlanta

the ones i have are; solti/cso & inbal/frankfort...with a scherchen/ortf just to hear the french guys do it.

dj

Offline John Kim

Re: Inbal/5th/FRSO
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 06:34:45 AM »
My favorite M5ths are,

Tennstedt/NYPO/NYPO
Tennstetd/LPO/EMI live
Shipway/RPO/RPO
Inbal/FRSO/Denon
Jansons/PSO (pirate)
Solti/CSO/Decca

and

Ozawa/BSO/Philips!! ;D

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 04:30:54 PM »
Coincidentally, I put the Inbal M4 and M5 in my car yesterday, along with the Rattle M3.  It has been a long time since I listened to any of these recordings, and I just finished listening to the "surprisingly" excellent Inbal M4.  I really couldn't remember much about either of the Inbal performances, and Vatz' revisiting of the Bertini box had me wondering how competitive the Inbal box would be.  I'll post my impressions of his M5 in a couple of days. 

As for the Maazel, I have a general rule for Mahler:  avoid Maazel.  His Mahler is generally stiff, mannered, and slow.  His VPO M4 has Kathleen Battle, which is the only thing that makes it a must-own.  His VPO M2 is a good effort.  As for this thread and his M5, it is stiff, mannered, and devoid of any tension -- avoid at all costs (do not be sucked in by the bargain price). 

The Bernstein/VPO is easily a top choice.  I also consider some of the other ones previously mentioned to be my first tier favorites:  Tennstedt/LPO (live, not studio), Solti/CSO (70's analog/studio, not 80's/90's live digital), and Mehta/NYPO.  The Solti is a rather aggressive reading, but it was the first M5 that I really liked (the first one I ever bought was actually the dreaded Maazel). 

Others that I put in my first tier of favorites are Chailly, Karajan (see recent thread), and Boulez -- all off the top of my head.   
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 05:48:05 PM »
Scott,

I'd agree on the Inbal M4th. It's amazingly good. Like yourself, I don't remember listening to this recording so often in the past but recently I revisited it and was really surprised that it's so good. I have a fond memory of the Solti/CSO M5th (the 70's studio one); it was my first M5th and I also heard him doing the work live in Austin, Texas in mid 80's. I was blown away by the concert.

Try Tennstedt/NYPO/NYPO Box set M5th. It's even better than his live one with LPO. Better played and better recorded.

John,

Wunderhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 05:54:20 PM »
Thank you for the recommendations. I've always been a fan of this symphony. I'm thinking of getting the Chailly boxset, but haven't decided yet. Another possibility might be Abaddo/Berlin/Mahler5.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 07:23:39 PM »
Personlly, I feel that the Berlin 5th is one of Abbado's "snoozier" performances. For the Berlin Phil., I still like the Karajan the best. My favorite commerical M5's - the ones that you can walk into a store and buy - are:  Chailly (Decca); Barenboim (Warner); Boulez (DG); Karajan (DG) - not necessarily in that order.

If money and time are no object, my favorite M5 from start to finish is the Markus Stenz one from Austrailia (Melborne) on ABC Classics. Stenz is now the conductor of the Gurzenich Orchestra in Cologne; the one that gave the world premiere of the 5th in 1905. I believe that it was Stenz opening work with them as well. I believe that he did the entire cycle in Melborne, and there's now an expensive "Resurrection" available as well.

By the way, I think that the Inbal one is pretty good, and is certainly more exciting than Abbado/BPO. Frankly, I like Abbado's earlier Chicago one better.

Barry
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:57:56 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:30:56 PM »
Oh, if you have a DVD player that also plays DVD-A(udio) discs (mine does!), you may want to consider getting the Rattle/BPO M5 on DVD. EMI throws in a DVD-A of the performance, which has far better sound than the regular CD.

Barry

Vatz Relham

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 08:08:54 PM »

By the way, I think that the Inbal one is pretty good, and is certainly more exciting than Abbado/BPO. Frankly, I like Abbado's earlier Chicago one better.

Barry

I also like Abbado's Chicago M5, excellent brass, love the growling trombones near the end if the 2nd mvmt. 8)

Vatz

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 08:17:09 PM »
.   .    .   lots of tam-tam underneath the first movement's funeral cortege as well.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 09:07:27 PM »
Scott,

I'd agree on the Inbal M4th. It's amazingly good. Like yourself, I don't remember listening to this recording so often in the past but recently I revisited it and was really surprised that it's so good. I have a fond memory of the Solti/CSO M5th (the 70's studio one); it was my first M5th and I also heard him doing the work live in Austin, Texas in mid 80's. I was blown away by the concert.

Try Tennstedt/NYPO/NYPO Box set M5th. It's even better than his live one with LPO. Better played and better recorded.

John,

I heard the live M5 Tennstedt/LPO in Osaka Japan during the Holidays...wow, what a great performance there...It didn't make an impression on my first hearing, but the second time around I was amazed by the interpetation, which is rather dark.  But I couldn't get the performance outta my mind after Christmas.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 09:14:08 PM »
Leo,

If you're talking about the live Tennstedt/LPO M5 from 1988 on EMI, unfortunately, that one's now long out of print. Indeed, it's very good.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 10:55:06 PM »
Leo,

If you're talking about the live Tennstedt/LPO M5 from 1988 on EMI, unfortunately, that one's now long out of print. Indeed, it's very good.

Barry

Available from Japan for less than $10 USD. 

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/1866098

...make that $10 plus $20 shipping.   ;D

Actually, I used to see that one on ebay every so often. 

Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 03:08:13 AM »

This is the CD I'm talking about (the performance comes from Japan in 1984).  Real killer performance too!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 06:23:27 AM »
Wow! That's pretty cool. If they give the timings, would you mind sharing them? Thanks.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk