Author Topic: Bernstein's Sony Cycle on SACD from Sony/Japan  (Read 7840 times)

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Bernstein's Sony Cycle on SACD from Sony/Japan
« on: August 09, 2007, 05:01:06 PM »
I just saw this posted on the SA-CD.net site.  It appears that Sony/Japan will be releasing Bernstein's entire Sony Mahler cycle on SACD in October.  Sony previously released the M1 as an SACD. 

Here is a link to the M3 at HMV.JP.  As it is my hands-down favorite M3, I will be purchasing this as soon as it is released.  I may also purchase a few of the others (M4 and M7 are likely ones). 

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2599107
Scott

Offline John Kim

Re: Bernstein's Sony Cycle on SACD from Sony/Japan
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 08:14:11 PM »
This is great news indeed. I have experiences with several of the Japanese remastered CDs; Bernstein/NYPO/DG M2, Sinopoli/PO/DG M2, M3, Karajan/BPO/DG M9 (the analogue recording), Bernstein/NYPO/Sony M6, M9 (NOT the SACDs) and can attest that they all sound better than the CDs issued in Europe and USA. The Japanese engineers do their own remastering process, so no wonder they sound improved. I particularly like the Lenny's DG M2nd which has FAR better sound than the European CDs with more ambiance, warmth and balance. I urge all of you to look for the upcoming SACD releases.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 10:08:27 PM »
Actually I also have the Japanese de Waart/NRPO/RCA M9th and again it sounds better than the US RCA version, more vivid with a wider dynamic range. Gee, they do care about good sound, ah?

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 04:54:01 AM »
Look at

http://www.hmv.co.jp/search/index.asp?target=MUSIC&category=1&keyword=mahler+bernstein+sacd

These SACDs are way too expensive...but I will the 3rd, 6th+9th, and possibly the 2nd.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 07:10:23 AM »
I see that HMV also lists an upcoming Simon Rattle/EMI Mahler box. However, it doesn't appear to be SACD. For some reason, EMI hasn't jumped into the high-rez game. I hope that they at least remaster the Rattle ones.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 04:53:31 AM »
Wow...this is great news...I'll start off with buying the M3 probably.  Really curious to hear this as an SACD.

--Leo

Offline Jeff Wozniak

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 08:34:24 PM »
I see that HMV also lists an upcoming Simon Rattle/EMI Mahler box. However, it doesn't appear to be SACD. For some reason, EMI hasn't jumped into the high-rez game. I hope that they at least remaster the Rattle ones.

Barry

Agreed. Rattle and EMi are not a good combination sonically.  I feel the same way about Abbado and DG.

I don't know how they do it, but they make both sound horrible.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 03:48:32 AM »
Does anyone have any more info regarding the Bernstein Mahler discs slated to be issued soon on SACD? Will these be hybrids? Any indication on cover art? Any info is appreciated.  If I can sell some stuff on ebay, I may rationalize this upgrade. Some of the Bernstein Century issues sounded better, but I didn't like the improvements on the M3.  I ended up getting a good LP version that I turn to. 

Many thanks,
Steve

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 04:10:20 AM »
Yes, all of them will be hybrid SACD's:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2599106

The (Japanese) street date is  Nov. 21st, 2007.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk