Author Topic: timings for upcoming Zinman M3 (RCA)  (Read 4369 times)

Offline barry guerrero

timings for upcoming Zinman M3 (RCA)
« on: August 16, 2007, 06:01:28 AM »
MAHLER: Symphony 3 (Zinman)

disc 1

I. 34:49

disc2

II. 10:10  III. 17:46  IV.  9:17  V. 4:24 VI. 22:56

As you can see, this is quite similar to Haitink/CSO except for two movements. The vocal movement (IV) is almost a minute quicker, and the final adagio movement is about a full 90 seconds quicker. Looks good to me. It's actually quite similar to Chailly, in terms of the numbers.

As I've ordered it from England, I should be getting my copy in a couple of weeks time. It doesn't come out in the U.S. until early October.

Barry

Offline John Kim

Re: timings for upcoming Zinman M3 (RCA)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 06:47:31 AM »
Time timings look pretty good. But if this new M3 is done with the same touches and playing that made Zinman's M2 less than satisfactory, I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Actually, I was quite disappointed by their M2nd.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:47:57 AM »
While not a mind blowing M2, I think it was a very good and "musical" one. Compare the bells at the symphony's ending to nearly any other recording. I found them to be the most satisfying deep bells I've yet to hear. Check out one other passage:  just listen to how Zinman does the last several minutes of the first movement. He takes that final funereal passage quite slow and deliberate. But unlike so many other recordings, when approaching that section's climax (the last loud tam-tam smash in the movement), he doesn't allow the music to get faster as it gets louder. He forces the musician's to keep the exact same tempo as they get louder. In contrast, Boulez (DG) took this same passage at a relatively fast clip. There's also plenty of organ on the Zinman, while I still can't hear any organ at all on the Boulez. I'll take the Zinman.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 02:20:57 AM »
MAHLER: Symphony 3 (Zinman)

disc 1

I. 34:49

disc2

II. 10:10  III. 17:46  IV.  9:17  V. 4:24 VI. 22:56

Barry

Timings look good to me, too.  I've got mine on order from HMV.JP and was hoping to have done a review by now (or at least my version of a review).  Unfortunately, HMV didn't ship as quickly as I hoped and it did not arrive before I left town on vacation.  I've also got the Macal/Czech PO M6 and the Seighart/DLvDE (all SACD's) coming in the order. 
Scott

Offline cilea

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 10:26:35 AM »
In his review of the concert of the Lucerne Festival Orchestra on this year's BBC Proms, David Gutman makes an interesting reference to the new Zinman M3 recording:

"[...] With each cuckoo, counter melody and concealed doubling teased from the undergrowth, vernal freshness of a kind was assured in the second and third movements. There followed the impressive apparition of Anna Larsson, statuesque in red and vocally at her best in the Nietzsche setting. Here Abbado follows Rattleā€™s lead with a fairly literal interpretation of Mahler's Hinaufziehen ('Pull up') marking, making the slurred cry of the night-bird more naturalistic than some will have liked (David Zinman takes the opposite course in his new recording). [...]"

http://www.classicalsource.com/db_control/db_prom_review.php?id=4831

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk