Author Topic: listening online and finding performances  (Read 3636 times)

Ivor

listening online and finding performances
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:14:57 PM »
     Can anyone give me dome guidance about lsiening to radio stations ferom around the world online. I couldn't listen to Irish radio online from England 'cos I lack bandwidth, whatever that means.

Also are there ways to discover what a given radio station is planning to broadcast.

Presumably there are online answers as well.

Ivor

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
Re: listening online and finding performances
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 07:27:56 PM »
According to Wikapedia, "In computer networking literature, digital bandwidth often refers to data rate measured in bit/s, for example channel capacity (digital bandwidth capacity) or throughput (digital bandwidth consumption). The reason for this usage is that the channel capacity in bit/s is proportional to the analogue bandwidth in Hertz according to Hartley's law."

That must help a lot, eh, Ivor?

Meanwhile, try <http://www.wcny.org/classicfm/>. (They use Windoze Media Player.)

. & '

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 01:47:52 AM »

Bandwidth is basically the speed of your internet connection. If you are using dialup access, you probably will not have the bandwidth the listen to higher resolution (better quality) streaming audio. Your connection is just not "fat" enough for all the data to flow through. If you have DSL or Cable Internet, you should have plenty of bandwidth to listen to streaming audio.

For a listing of Mahler scheduled on radio broadcasts around the world, including a lot of live performances broadcast live, I recommend Eric Nagamine's webcast schedule directory http://home.hawaii.rr.com/mahlerb/broadcaststartpage.html  He also lists some other composers he particularly likes, but it's mostly Mahler.

"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Ivor

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 07:34:45 PM »
  Thank you for those. Getting btoadband will be a start "" (technophobe or what?  :D)

Do others listen to radio broadcasts online? Good?

Ivor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk