Author Topic: Zinman M3 - Initial Comments  (Read 3710 times)

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Zinman M3 - Initial Comments
« on: August 29, 2007, 04:12:18 PM »
Here are some first impressions of the Zinman M3, which I obtained from HMV.JP:

Movement I
The first thing I noticed in multi-channel is that the sound is overly reverberant.  There are also some strange orchestral balances with some inconsistent/recessed percussion (all of this is slightly better in stereo than MC).  Southern Storm section is a little disappointing due to the recessed percussion of the timpani and snares.  However, the tam-tams are much better and more consistent than in the recent Haitink/CSO.  On the positive side, Zinman chooses excellent tempos and flexible conducting throughout.  Horns and trombones are strong throughout. 

Movement II. Wonderfully forward woodwinds throughout, particularly noteworthy is a clarinet at around 2:25 (usually more blended into the strings in other performances). 

Movement III – Again, more prominent winds, nice posthorn solos, brisk tempos.  At the end, the first two of the final 5 tam-tam strikes are strangely muted – the last three are great.  I must admit that my Sunday morning ADD kicked in a little during this movement, so I had to replay a couple of sections when I lost focus. 

Movement IV – Brigitte Remert – need I say more?  She has a wonderful dark voice for the deep midnight of “Oh Mensch!”

Movement V – Interesting pitch to the bells throughout the movement give a strangely sinister undertone to the Bim-Bam movement. 

Movement VI – As with the entire performance, Zinman has great choice of tempos and a beautiful flow to the music.  The first cymbal crash is rather subdued.  Second crash is better and has good deep bass drum support, but the brass is rather recessed.  The ending is interesting in that the brass again is very subdued, giving the feeling of peaceful transcendence rather than glorious transcendence. 

Overall, I am rather bothered by the sound and my perception of strange instrumental balances.  As I mentioned above, I really like Zinman’s tempo choices throughout and also the prominent winds.  However, some of the bigger moments lack impact.  To some extent this is the polar opposite of the recent Haitink/CSO, where the big moments are emphasized and some details are glossed over.  I think that Zinman beats Haitink in terms of vertical conducting, but I still prefer the Haitink overall. 

Scott
Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Zinman M3 - Initial Comments
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 11:36:53 PM »
Thanks Scott for that report...it appears I may not need to have this one.  I've been really excited over the Kobayashi M3...great sound and profound performance...my new favorite.

--Leo

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 03:58:31 AM »
I'm very interested to hear those slightly "sinister" sounding bells at the start of the "bim-bam" choral movement. From what you've described, inspite of its drawbacks, I'm sure this Zinman M3 will be much more to my liking than the Haitink/CSO one. In infact, the more I hear the Haitink/CSO M3, the less I like it.

Barry

Offline bluesbreaker

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 08:33:26 AM »
From this review, I can foresee that Dave Hurwitz won't have too much good things to say about.
Not really excited from my side either...........
Under The Dark Side Of The Glass Moon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk