Author Topic: So, the end of our Mahlerian year (2007) is really shaping up!  (Read 3872 times)

Offline barry guerrero

So, the end of our Mahlerian year (2007) is really shaping up!
« on: September 17, 2007, 04:44:04 AM »
Yep, 2007 is going to have a strong finish: Zinman Mahler 3 (I still really like it!); Haitink/Schaefer M4; Boulez M8; the complete Rattle/Mahler cycle; MTT's "Das Klagende Lied" getting issued in SACD surround sound. Looks like there are going to be lots of great Mahler concerts in 2007/2008 also, including the finnish of Eschenbach's Mahler cycle in Philly.

Vienna Phil./Villazon/Harding are doing "DLvdE" soon (I forget who the mezzo is). The Lucerne Festival Orch. will be peforming Mahler 3 at Carnegie Hall (Boulez is substituting for an ill C. Abbado). MTT will be recording "DLvdE" soon (with Hampson). Not bad.

Barry

Offline John Kim

Re: So, the end of our Mahlerian year (2007) is really shaping up!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 02:59:43 PM »
Thanks Barry.

I heard the audio clips of the upcoming Boulez/DG M8th and was impressed with the clarity, sound and balance. Boulez's reading may be everything I have expected from this conductor. This could be M8th of my dream.

Also, let's not forget Rattle/BPO/EMI M9th which will be released next year.

Now, please Mr. Bernard Haitink, where are your new recordings of M8th and M9th??

John,

Offline Eric Nagamine

Re: So, the end of our Mahlerian year (2007) is really shaping up!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:50:17 AM »
Yep, 2007 is going to have a strong finish: Zinman Mahler 3 (I still really like it!); Haitink/Schaefer M4; Boulez M8; the complete Rattle/Mahler cycle; MTT's "Das Klagende Lied" getting issued in SACD surround sound. Looks like there are going to be lots of great Mahler concerts in 2007/2008 also, including the finnish of Eschenbach's Mahler cycle in Philly.

Vienna Phil./Villazon/Harding are doing "DLvdE" soon (I forget who the mezzo is). The Lucerne Festival Orch. will be peforming Mahler 3 at Carnegie Hall (Boulez is substituting for an ill C. Abbado). MTT will be recording "DLvdE" soon (with Hampson). Not bad.

Barry

The Eschenbach cycle finish has been pushed back a season as the 7th which was scheduled for this season has been pushed to next season. The 8th however is still on for May 2008.

Do you know anything about the tenor in the MTT Das Lied? I can't remember his name, but he's going to have to be quite good to out do Schade who was pretty darn good the last time MTT did the work with Hampson a few seasons back. A recent webcast of a Mahler Lieder recital  on Hungarian radio shows Hampson to be in much better voice than when he did Das Lied with Philly two seasons ago. I look forward to hearing the SFSO in Das Lied. Some of the broadcasts from their summer sojurns to Europe have the orchestra sounding the best I've ever heard them. The Also Sprach Zarathustra from Vienna Festwochen was pretty amazing.

Eric

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk