Author Topic: looks like Rattle/BPO M9 will be released late Oct. or November  (Read 6900 times)

Offline barry guerrero

looks like Rattle/BPO M9 will be released late Oct. or November
« on: October 07, 2007, 06:45:14 AM »
According to EMI's website, Rattle's new Mahler 9 - this time with the Berlin Phil. - will be released in either late October or November. No timings were given, and there doesn't appear to be any coupling or filler material.

Barry

Offline John Kim

Re: looks like Rattle/BPO M9 will be released late Oct. or November
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 02:26:02 PM »
I do hope that the CD will sound better than what I heard on radio which sort of sounded much like Abbado/BPO/DG.

But I like the cover photo of this EMI release and it can only be better than Rattle's VPO version

John,

Offline Ben

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 04:51:09 PM »
I've sampled many discs from the Rattle/BPO relationship.  I just can't seem to get into any of them.  I think Rattle is one of the most overrated conductors out there.  How he got the Berlin job is beyond me.  I think he gets so concerned with trying to make an impression and making the piece "his," that he micromanages pieces to death.  They never seem to have flow.

Of course I know nothing about this new Mahler 9 coming out, so I can't pass any judgment on it.  I think I've just grown tired of seeing more and more discs from Rattle and the BPO.

Maybe I'm in a harsh mood right now...haha

Ben

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 11:05:32 PM »
...  I think he gets so concerned with trying to make an impression and making the piece "his," that he micromanages pieces to death.  They never seem to have flow.

I agree on this. He wants to put a stamp on his recordings, "This is Rattle's Mahler!".

But I must confess I like his M2 and M10 (on both occasions) very much; I think his mannerism somewhat worked out in these cases.

John,

Offline je-b

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 07:06:58 AM »
Now this is interesting: A October / November release means that they will not take the upcoming October Philharmonie performances into account for the recording - so it will probably be based on the season opening night concert back in August and / or the Lucerne / Salzburg festival tour performances. Well, let's see... I'm looking forward to this anyway.
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 09:22:51 PM »
So, folks, did anyone find out the US street date for this CD?

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 04:32:27 PM »
...  I think he gets so concerned with trying to make an impression and making the piece "his," that he micromanages pieces to death.  They never seem to have flow.

I agree on this. He wants to put a stamp on his recordings, "This is Rattle's Mahler!".

But I must confess I like his M2 and M10 (on both occasions) very much; I think his mannerism somewhat worked out in these cases.

John,

Agreed...his EMI M2 is still one of my favorite M2s.  If only his BPO M10 had better sound!  Still, a great M10 in every way. 

--Leo

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 07:56:41 PM »
Leo,

The sound on the Rattle/BPO/EMI M10 is good enough for me to recommend it highly. I also love his first at go with the score with Bournemouth SO, but slightly prefer the Berlin version. I think M10th is Rattle specialty. If only he had the same degree of insights in other symphonies...except for the M2nd.

John,

Offline je-b

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 11:28:13 PM »
Okay, according to Amazon.de it looks like it's going to be released on 03-07-2008: http://www.amazon.de/Sinfonie-9-Simon-Rattle/dp/B000Y0UYC0/ref=sr_1_2/302-1971807-4432009?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1194045913&sr=8-2

So, it's still quite a way...
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 06:14:08 AM »
Okay, according to Amazon.de it looks like it's going to be released on 03-07-2008: http://www.amazon.de/Sinfonie-9-Simon-Rattle/dp/B000Y0UYC0/ref=sr_1_2/302-1971807-4432009?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1194045913&sr=8-2

So, it's still quite a way...

Oh, no..... :'(

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 03:20:10 PM »
I'm sure they figured out that they couldn't just dump the new Berlin 9th right on top of the box set of the symphonies that doesn't include it. They probably don't have a whole lot of new Rattle material "in the can" either.

Barry

Offline cilea

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 08:31:19 AM »
I just happened to notice the following news item on the EMI website news section.

" Simon Rattle and the BPO Record Mahler's Symphony No. 9
27 Sep 2007

'The performance of Gustav Mahler's 9th symphony was one of the most wonderful accomplishments of Simon Rattle as conductor of this orchestra.' (Berliner Zeitung)

Simon Rattle, who has built a reputation as a distinguished Mahler interpreter through his vast Mahler back-catalogue on EMI Classics, will complete a new recording of the composer's Symphony No. 9 with the Berliner Philharmoniker at the end of October 2007.

EMI Classics plan an exclusive worldwide digital only release in November 2007 which will coincide with both the BPO and Sir Simon's central performances at New York's Carnegie Hall Berlin in Lights festival and the Orchestra's 125th anniversary celebrations in Berlin. The CD will follow with an international release in March 2008.

The Berliner Philharmoniker opened their 2007/08 season with performances of Symphony No. 9 which were reprised the following week at the Festivals of Salzburg and Lucerne, when the Oberösterreichische Nachrichten wrote, 'Sir Simon Rattle has once again demonstrated his great affinity for this music and his ability to recreate it in the most thrilling fashion. […] It is hardly possible to imagine a realisation of this music at once more moving and more menacing. The finale was heavenly, with the Berliners pulling out all the stops. Outstanding solo playing, subtly savoured colours, saturated and warmly sonorous chords and a pianissimo that died away into utter oblivion – all these contributed to making this a sensational concert.'

Sir Simon and the Berliner Philharmoniker have previously recorded Mahler’s Symphonies Nos. 5 and 10; both discs received outstanding critical acclaim and have been best-sellers. Sir Simon’s first Mahler recording was Symphony No. 2 with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra in 1987. He previously recorded Symphony No. 9 with the Wiener Philharmoniker in 1993. "
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 08:33:08 AM by cilea »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 05:54:46 PM »
EMI Classics plan an exclusive worldwide digital only release in November 2007 which will coincide with both the BPO and Sir Simon's central performances at New York's Carnegie Hall Berlin in Lights festival and the Orchestra's 125th anniversary celebrations in Berlin. The CD will follow with an international release in March 2008.
So, does it mean EMI will release it first in UK or somewhere in Nov. 2007, and then worldwide in March, 2008? I am confused....

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 06:43:31 PM »
http://www.emigroup.com/Press/2007/press75.htm

According to the link above:

International digital release: November 2007: 5099950122950
iTunes pre-release: 5099950123155

Hopefully iTunes will have it soon...I'll keep checking my iTunes store.

--Leo

Offline John Kim

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 07:00:09 PM »
Thanks, Leo.

Please keep us updated on the availability of the iTunes version.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk