Author Topic: Bertini box...again....  (Read 5768 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Bertini box...again....
« on: February 12, 2008, 04:48:52 AM »
I'm now halfway though this box (going slow), and I must say it has been a revelation.  The playing and the conducting reveal so much about these scores...musical details and discoveries I never considered, or just didn't know about are all over the place! 

I especially love his M2 and M5, but his M9 and M8 are also incredible...I could go on and on...but most already know, I've just been late to the party!

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Bertini box...again....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 05:39:41 AM »
I think of Bertini's Mahler as being right down the middle between Bernstein and Boulez, but with really good sound and great playing. I still think that his is the best overall cycle - from start to finish - of anyone's. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to have Bernstein, Boulez, and a whole bunch of others too.

Barry
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:35:45 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 06:46:13 PM »
Great description Barry, I couldn't agree more.

Got started on his M7 last night with the first two movements...it's gold...I love the subtle way with the score...every bar literally sings...incredible.  What a great orchestra too.

--Todd

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 06:33:56 PM »
The rest of Bertini's M7 doesn't disappoint!  And the M5 is revelatory...I think it may be my favorite M5 of all, at least in performance (there are better sounding M5's, such as the new Macal M5).  Yet the pacing of Bertini's M5 is near ideal for my taste, which suprises me somewhat, since I'm usually a "slow guy". 

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »
That's interesting to me because Bertini's 5th is the item I like the least from the box set. But you're right about pacing.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 07:35:19 PM »
Barry, what do you think of the M6?  I like this alot too, and feel the Andante is the most successful of this M6.

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 09:00:36 AM »
I like Bertini's M6 very much - nice cowbells. But I like his TMSO one ever better. It's just a tad shorter in the inner movements, as well as with the finale.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 04:46:16 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline bluesbreaker

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 01:38:24 AM »
The rest of Bertini's M7 doesn't disappoint!  And the M5 is revelatory...I think it may be my favorite M5 of all, at least in performance (there are better sounding M5's, such as the new Macal M5).  Yet the pacing of Bertini's M5 is near ideal for my taste, which suprises me somewhat, since I'm usually a "slow guy". 

--Todd

I don't have the box-set yet, but I do have the M3 and M5. I don't find the M5 any interesting, although with good playing and sound.
I like his M3 much more. But I wish the string and brass had a thicker tone in the Finale!
Under The Dark Side Of The Glass Moon

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 03:34:47 PM »
I think I'll try his M3 next!  I found it on vinyl some months ago too.

--Todd

Offline sbugala

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 12:54:57 AM »
Others may disagree, but for me his M3 is his best work in the set.  The trombone playing in the first movement, and the handling of the third movement, are impressive.  The posthorn playing and the clarity of the harps over an impressively built explosion of sound at the end of that movement, are superb.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 07:34:57 AM »
I second the excellence of Bertini's Third. I own the M3, M6, M7, M8, DLVDE, and M9+M10 Adagio. I like all of them but must single out the M8th as the finest achievement by this team, an incredible recording not to be surpassed for a long time to come.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 08:51:27 AM »
Thank you. I've been saying that for years.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk