Author Topic: Barry writes about Rattle/BPO/EMI M9th CD on amazon.com (5/5 rating)  (Read 9548 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Barry writes about Rattle/BPO/EMI M9th CD on amazon.com (5/5 rating)
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 03:58:16 AM »
This Rattle M9 is very good, but lets face it the main climax in the 1st movement isn't all that great, as has been stated by Hurwitz and Barry, the tam-tam and trombones aren't loud enough.
Also overall the brass is too polite even in the two inner movements, compare to Abbado/BPO or even Barenboim. That being said everything else is very good, and I don't mind if Rattle is a bit too fast in the central section of the R-B. I like this performance more than the Carnegie Hall concert. The timings are very similar to Karajan II which still ranks very highly with me, but I would still put Bertini/Koln/EMI ahead of both of them, Bertini seems to really get inside this music with a deep understanding which holds my attention right to the end.

Vatz
But aren't' you bothered by the cavenous and distant sound on the Bertini CD? Oftentimes the horns get buried and many polyphonic lines are blurred because of the murky sonics. Only the heavy brass and percussion (such as timpani) have presence. These problems are most damaging in the first movt.

Speaking of the Abbado/BPO/DG M9th, one reason it doesn't feel as polished as it might and rough instead is because of the harsh sonics generated by the DG engineers. I bet if the sound were "prettier" this M9th would never have enjoyed the kind of critical acclaims it has received.

The Berlin brass in the Rattle's recording bother me little because 1) I can still hear some of the low brass (believe me on this, if you pay attention you can hear them)and 2) even when they are not very present other brass instruments sound fierce enough to make up for the weakness. Only if the sound were better ....

I asked EMI if they have a plan to release DVD-A version in the near future.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Barry writes about Rattle/BPO/EMI M9th CD on amazon.com (5/5 rating)
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 02:16:35 PM »
It really is very good. But as you also said, Todd, it's a shame that nobody will get to know some of the other fine 9ths coming out, such as Macal/CPO; Schwarz/Liverpool; Sinopoli/Dresden (my personal favorite), etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk