Author Topic: OT: Muti on Chicago SO Resound SACD: Scriabin/Prokofiev/Ravel  (Read 3701 times)

Offline akiralx

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/5265

I was half wondering if this was an April 1 gag but I doubt it.

Never heard his Scriabin recordings but I recall his earlier Prokofiev Third was excellent. 

Nice to have Muti on SACD, though the only CSO Resound SACD I've heard (Bruckner 7 with Haitink) was sonically a tad underpowered/light-toned.  Though Muti would have to go sadly awry to make those works sound feeble...

Offline barry guerrero

Re: OT: Muti on Chicago SO Resound SACD: Scriabin/Prokofiev/Ravel
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 02:16:37 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that the CSO Resound folks are not really on drugs, but simply keep issuing questionable stuff - paid for by other other people's money - simply because they can! So far, I think that their most interesting disc is the one that has Yo-Yo Ma playing Bloch's "Schelomo". Of course, Yo-Yo Ma fans have become so used to him recording little more than crossover bon-bons, that they won't even give the Bloch a listen. And, naturally enough, leave it to the CSO Resound folks to barely exploit Yo-Yo Ma's name on the cover. In fact, I think  you have to read the backside to find out that it's Ma playing the Bloch. 

Anyway, you're absolutely right, Muti did make a really good recording of Prokofiev's 3rd symphony with Philly on Philips. But does anybody, anywhere, need another recording of Scriabin's Poem Of Excess? (it should have been subtitled, "Death Of A Trumpet"). This also begs another question: If Muti already made a great P3 with Philly, why would we need a new one with Chicago?

I have to agree with John Kim on one point: CSO Resound should have saved Haitink's dour and glacial conducting for a new Mahler 9th, not Mahler 6. "Wait, Bernie, could you just freeze it right there, and let us slip Mahler 9 parts over your everybody's Mahler 6 parts. Ahhhhhh, that's better, now we're sort of getting somewhere. At least John Kim will buy it".

Offline John Kim

Re: OT: Muti on Chicago SO Resound SACD: Scriabin/Prokofiev/Ravel
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 03:05:42 PM »
I have to agree with John Kim on one point: CSO Resound should have saved Haitink's dour and glacial conducting for a new Mahler 9th, not Mahler 6. "Wait, Bernie, could you just freeze it right there, and let us slip Mahler 9 parts over your everybody's Mahler 6 parts. Ahhhhhh, that's better, now we're sort of getting somewhere. At least John Kim will buy it".

Of course I will :D

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk