Author Topic: two M9's coming out in early 2007 - two different Staatskapelles  (Read 8941 times)

Offline barry guerrero

two M9's coming out in early 2007 - two different Staatskapelles
« on: December 22, 2006, 02:05:30 AM »
hey,

Not only are we getting a Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin M9, but Profil is coming out with a *live* Sinopoli/Staatskapelle Dresden M9 - yipppeee! I really want to hear both of these. I've been wanting to hear Dresdeners do more Mahler.

Barry

Offline Ben

Re: two M9's coming out in early 2007 - two different Staatskapelles
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 03:15:39 AM »
This is good news.  I will be looking forward to the new Barenboim M9; I'm enjoying his M7 right now very much.  I don't know much of Sinopoli's Mahler, enough that I was never very much interested.  Perhaps it's time to give it a go.

Ben

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 07:14:00 AM »
Ben,

I thought that Sinopoli's Dresden "DLvdE" was a huge improvement over the rest of his cycle - recorded with the Philharmonia - in terms of orchestral execution, and just for the timbre of the orchestra. I really want to hear them in the 9th, although the Rondo-Burlesque might not be sharp-edged enough.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 07:58:17 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 12:47:17 AM »
Hello everyone!

It's really nice to your names back here.

Two M9's by world's finest orchestra- how can I miss them?

I am really looking forward to Barenboim's M9 as I really liked his recent M7.

I also liked Sinopoli's M9th on DG, although many thought it was rather uneven. I liked perculiar tempos and dynamics he chose in this piece which I think worked beautifully. Perhaps his new M9 will have more main stream approach and less quirks.

John,

mr. woodford

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 01:05:49 AM »
i've always had a problem w/ barenboim- met the guy once, and found him a bit...distasteful, but that's just a personal observation, and not a comment on his musicianship.  the dresden orchestra has always been a fave, and i love sinopoli, so this should be a very interesting combination.  any chance it'll come out in high rez?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 08:16:16 AM »
So far, Profil has not made any hi-rez recordings. The Sinopoli/SKD M9 is going to be a bit expensive, as it's being issued as a two-disc set, coupled with R. Strauss' "Tod und Verklaerung".  Regardless of Barenboim's personality, his M9 is coming out on a single disc. I really like his 7th, as well as the Chicago M5. Personally speaking, I have more of an issue with his programming.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 02:04:24 AM »
hey,

Not only are we getting a Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin M9, but Profil is coming out with a *live* Sinopoli/Staatskapelle Dresden M9 - yipppeee! I really want to hear both of these. I've been wanting to hear Dresdeners do more Mahler.

Barry

I've heard the release date in Germany (for the Barenboim) is the 17th January 2007, and this disk is on iTunes (in the UK I think)...any word on the America release date?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 03:59:00 AM »
I keep watching to see if Amazon, or any other domestic, has added this yet. So far, no go. My guess is that it might be held up a month or two in the U.S.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 03:11:39 AM »
The Sinopoli M9th is available on Japanese HMV site. But it doesn't list the Barenboim one yet.

Anyway, it's interesting to see which Mahler recordings got kudos from Japanese customers. Some of the highly praised recordings are

Macal/CPO/Exton M6th
Macal/CPO/Exton M3rd
MTT/SFSO/SFSO M9th
Bertini/TMSO/Fontec M9th+M10 Adagio
Jansons/RCO/RCO M6th

These all received scores higher than 90 (out of 100).

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk