Author Topic: Top Ten  (Read 20820 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Top Ten
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 02:50:28 AM »
>> Klemperer/NPO on Jpn Toshiba (a much better remastering job compared to the U.K. EMI reissue of the same, btw);

No matter how good the recording may sound, I just can't pass up the shaky playing by the Philharmonia Orch. I like Klemperer's approach very much and that's why I gave two thumbs up for his live Viennese recording, but No Jose here  :-[

John,

Polarius T

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 10:51:07 AM »
I can relate to your reservations, John, but personally feel the merits especially of the conception far outweight what for me are ultimately but minor quibbles related to this performance. Everything seems so well elementally integrated into the structure of the work, always emerging from and merging into it, with marvellous clarity of line, very clean thematic relations, and wonderful expressive economy throughout. A little clumsily played at times, true, but that sort of sits fine within the slight ascetism marking the approach. Yet I certainly will want to get my hands on the VPO live taping, too.

Whereas I for my part never understood the compliments habitually paid to the Chailly Decca recording. Interpretatively I find it a bit juvenile still (rather irritating at times in fact with all the little stretchings affecting the relations between note values and the frequently weird rubato -- can't he just count straight and simple?) and never thought the sonics were anything to write home about (I only listen to in stereo however). I know numerous recordings, including M9s, that come in better sound.

-PT

Offline Dave H

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 11:37:08 AM »
I'm with John on this one. Much as I admire Klemperer, the playing is just too shaky on his Mahler Ninth. What is that weird squeak just before the climax of the finale? I am also suspicious of those who claim to admire a "conception" independently of its realization by the orchestra. Folks, the "conception" IS the realization. The conductor's job is to get the orchestra to realize his intentions. No one would argue that bad ensemble, stiff transitions, or stodgy tempos (Klemp's third movement!) belong to his "conception"--only that this is all he was able to do on the night (or during the sessions) owing to infirmity, caprice, or age. This is also the problem I have with Horenstein's performances. Conductors are just like any other musician--they have different levels of ability to "play" their instrument--the orchestra. And anyone with a long experience of orchestral playing (Barry can back me up here) will tell you that it's painfully audible when a conductor hasn't got the chops for the job at hand. Because most orchestras are so good at what they do, and so well trained, they are able to cover for a huge amount of sheer podium error--and even downright incompetence. In these cases, it's really impossible to say that the performance reflects the conductor's conception because he simply isn't able to realize it satisfactorily. What would Klemps' Ninth have sounded like if he had been able to keep the orchestral together better, if he had been younger, or more alert, etc. We don't know.

There is an aspect of music that many people enjoy--the opportunity to project their own selves into a performance, particularly a bad one, supplying through their own imagination what they feel ought to be there, or might have been there, but isn't. This is often true of historical recordings or performances featuring bad sound, where much of the musical texture, dynamics, and color is simply missing. If we know the music well, we supply the absent elements and give the performers the credit and of course the performance is "great"--because it necessarily reflects what we think we want to hear. This is perfectly legitimate as far as it goes--everyone can enjoy a performance as they wish. But I do think it's a mistake to talk about a "conception" as a thing apart from execution when the execution leaves a lot to be desired, because the bottom line is that we can't get inside the artist's head and say that what we hear is what he or she would have wanted--only that it's what they did and had to live with. For that reason, I do not believe that Klemp's Ninth is worthy of him, for all that is has some powerful moments, precisely because I do not hear a fully formed conception of the piece being superbly played by his instrument--the Philharmonia Orchestra.

Dave H

Polarius T

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »
...the "conception" IS the realization.

We can use "gestalt" as well, the terminological point is not important here: the form/shape that Klemp's M9 emerges as distinct from other performances ("interpretatively" and not in terms of "technical" ensemble qualities like discipline).

No one would argue that bad ensemble, stiff transitions, or stodgy tempos (Klemp's third movement!) belong to his "conception."

Why not? Your "stiff" is my "emphatic"; your "stodgy" is my "deliberate." Isn't that all just about your conception of what he's doing?

...In these cases, it's really impossible to say that the performance reflects the conductor's conception because he simply isn't able to realize it satisfactorily.

Sure enough if you put it this way, but I certainly would not say the Klemp recording falls into this category. His personal trademarks are there in it for all to hear. You and I could tell it apart from any other, after the first five or so notes, any time, in any listening conditions, just because of what we know of this conductor based on his other, possible more fully realized interpretations. I don't think there is any need to project as much as you seem to think to recognize his particular script, so to speak (especially with the very decent recorded sound that lets you hear pretty well what's going on, surely better than what, for instance, Szell ever got committed on tape at around the same time).

we can't get inside the artist's head and say that what we hear is what he or she would have wanted
But then I'm curious, how do we tell that, for instance, a particular conductor only wants to exhibit his own ideas and not the composer's notions embedded in some particular work, as you for example have yourself observed in a number of instances in your reviews? (Assuming there is no indisputable deviation from the printed score.)

I think it's simply perfectly OK to reject a particular performance as personally significant by saying that well, it just isn't played well enough for me to enjoy it. I constantly encounter recordings like that. But it's a bit of a different issue than claiming incompetence or failure. Moreover I think the better the performance, the less we hear of the conductor's "conception" of it and the more in it the work itself or its author seems newly revealed. As in here, for me, all things considered.

With the rest of your post I'm of course in full agreement.

-PT
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 12:36:01 PM by Polarius T »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »
Moreover I think the better the performance, the less we hear of the conductor's "conception" of it and the more in it the work itself or its author seems newly revealed.

Ouch! I think that I could hang with your argument up until this particular point. This is like saying that you can only have one or the other; an either/or situation. For me, this is THE trap for so many fans of historical recordings. Great performances and great conceptualizations (interpretations - a word that I hate) need not be exclusive of each other at all, I feel.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »
The ones I find inexhaustible in their riches one way or another and keep returning to over and over again:

Abbado/BPO on the Netherlands Radio "Mahler Feest" box set (I cannot imagine a more perfectly done 9th);

Abbado/BPO on DG;

Abbado/VPO on DG;

Boulez/CSO on DG;

Klemperer/NPO on Jpn Toshiba (a much better remastering job compared to the U.K. EMI reissue of the same, btw);

Maderna/BBC SO on BBC Legends;

Sinopoli/SKD on Profil/Haenssler;

Walter/Columbia SO on Sony.

To think of it, probably also in this order of preference. The Walter is quite dubious but I enjoy it as a counterbalance to other performances on this list -- kind of like letting it loose and having a bit of fun with it for a change.

I don't have time nor patience to keep returning to any of the others (there is too much great music around and too little time in a human life), although I have kept the Chailly and Bernstein/NYPO for comparisons and as a museum piece, respectively. What for different reasons I feel intrigued enough by to still want to spend time with:

Bertini with the Tokyo Metropolitan Orchestra players on Fontec (the combination is quite interesting);

Sanderling/Berlin SO on King (Jpn) (this seems like a very good transfer and I'm a fan -- he's always so sound in the execution and profound in his conception);

Ozawa/Saito Kinen on Philips (piqued by their excellent M2);

Klemperer/VPO live on Testament (a "must" for me but I want the whole box set so I've hesitated with the ridiculous collector's-item price);

and -- shame on me for not having heard it yet -- Barenboim/Berlin Staatskapelle on Warner even if I don't expect it to be revelatory in any special way, "just" good (for me there aren't too many good ones around of the 9th) (how do you like it, Todd?).

The one I'd want to get when and if he ever records it: Fabio Luisi with SKD.

PT

PT,

You mentioned the Abbado VPO/DG M9...this one should probably should be on my list, since I really enjoy the sound of the VPO strings on this one...but the climaxes in I and IV are also executed with excitement and bite...a great M9 indeed.

You asked what I thought about the Barenboim...I like it because Barenboim doesn't appear to hold the work too sacred...the performance is very aggressive overall but with the woodwinds somewhat more prominent...strangely, the texture in this Barenboim M9 reminds me of the live Karajan M9 broadcast from Salzburg with the BPO (1982), where the winds are well heard, creating textures I don't usually hear in the score.  

There are some problems with the recording/execution that John Kim and Dave Hurwitz are correct about, but the strengths outwiegh the weaknesses.  

There is a live M9 broadcast from Barenboim/Staatskapelle (from April 2007) that is much better than the commercial release...more "exaggerated" and "edgy"...I was really impressed by it!

--Todd

Offline Dave H

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 03:35:27 PM »
We can use "gestalt" as well, the terminological point is not important here: the form/shape that Klemp's M9 emerges as distinct from other performances ("interpretatively" and not in terms of "technical" ensemble qualities like discipline).

I think youy are drawing a distinction here that is demonstrably false. The form/shape cannot be separated from the technical qualities of the ensemble realizing it, because it is their technical ability that permits its realization in the first place. Let me give you an example: Hermann Scherchen took fifteen minutes over the Adagietto of the Mahler 5th with the Philadelphia strings and nearly half that time in his official Vienna recording. Why? Because he explained that the Philly strings could sustain the slow tempo. So which performance reflects his "conception?" Obviously both do, but both are conditioned by technical apparatus at his disposal. The conception does not exist independently of the act of performance, however, well-planned or thought-out it might be. Similarly, if a conductor is working with players who are not at their best, or more to the point in Klemperer's case, he is incapable of getting them to give their best, then it's an open question as to how valid an example of his conception of the work has been presented and (in recordings) preserved. If he can't play the third movement up to tempo, then the form/shape of his performance may be unique, but not in a good way, and it may not be reflective of his view of the work.

Why not? Your "stiff" is my "emphatic"; your "stodgy" is my "deliberate." Isn't that all just about your conception of what he's doing?

No, it isn't. "Stiff" means something quite different from "emphatic," and "stodgy" suggests a very different quality than does "deliberate." Obviously people can disagree about these things to a certain degree, but ultimately reasonable people must share a basic understanding of what such descriptive terms mean to be able to communicate at all. And the issue is not what these things mean to you in an abstract sense. It is what they mean as a function of what the music demands for its most effective presentation as evidenced by the score, the performance tradition, and musicality of the performers, etc. This all adds up to some pretty definite parameters that can be used to describe a given performance contextually. I can acknowledge and enjoy Klemperer's deliberation while decrying his stodginess--one quality does not suggest the other. Nor is this a zero some game. I can accept that you enjoy this performance for its outstanding moments (and I keep it on hand because I would agree that it has some), while acknowledging its faults, whether or not we agree about how serious those are. But they are there, and many of them are facts, not opinions.

Sure enough if you put it this way, but I certainly would not say the Klemp recording falls into this category. His personal trademarks are there in it for all to hear. You and I could tell it apart from any other, after the first five or so notes, any time, in any listening conditions, just because of what we know of this conductor based on his other, possible more fully realized interpretations. I don't think there is any need to project as much as you seem to think to recognize his particular script, so to speak (especially with the very decent recorded sound that lets you hear pretty well what's going on, surely better than what, for instance, Szell ever got committed on tape at around the same time).

I think you are exaggerating quite a bit. "Five notes or so?" You must be a much better listener than I, particularly with respect to the opening of the Ninth Symphony! I can accept the notion that there was a distinctive "Klemperer/Philharmonia sound" (forward wind balances, etc), and I can accept that you want to hear that sound in this particular work. But that's a very different thing than suggesting that BECAUSE you hear that sound in this particular work, you are listening to a great performance of it. All you are hearing is a "characteristic" performance, and not even a very good one, at least compared to those works in which Klemperer is both characteristic and clearly getting the orchestra to play magnificently. Because, if you want to raise the issue of Klemperer's work in its larger context, we know for a fact that he was not a slob when it came to ensemble (far from it!), and that while his tempos were often deliberate he did not become stodgy until the very end of his life. From this evidence we can say pretty definitively that his Ninth is probably not entirely representative of his intentions. Your argument cuts both ways. I also think we need to beware of "the cult of mediocrity," the suggestion that technical insufficiency is somehow characterful or "honest," and that brilliance in this respect is suspect. As I said, this is not a zero sum game. All artists try to do their best, and as listeners we have every right to expect and demand the highest possible standards at all times.

But then I'm curious, how do we tell that, for instance, a particular conductor only wants to exhibit his own ideas and not the composer's notions embedded in some particular work, as you for example have yourself observed in a number of instances in your reviews? (Assuming there is no indisputable deviation from the printed score.)

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here. The question makes no sense to me.

I think it's simply perfectly OK to reject a particular performance as personally significant by saying that well, it just isn't played well enough for me to enjoy it. I constantly encounter recordings like that. But it's a bit of a different issue than claiming incompetence or failure. Moreover I think the better the performance, the less we hear of the conductor's "conception" of it and the more in it the work itself or its author seems newly revealed. As in here, for me, all things considered.

Why do you have a problem with the notions of incompetence or failure? If a plumber came to fix your toilet and he left it still running, even though you could flush it, you would call him a failure, or incompetent, wouldn't you? His failure need not be total or absolute. You might even demand that he come back and fix the problem, or refuse to pay his bill. How is music any different (other than that they can't come back and fix the problem)? Performers fail all the time, often in most abysmal ways. And I also think that he we recognized these failures for what they are and said as much we would have higher standards, and much humbler and more honest artists. Particularly in Europe, there is a tendency to treat artists with kid gloves. Let me share a little anecdote, if I may:

Back when I was running the Cannes Classical Awards in France, we gave Daniel Barenboim an award for his Beethoven cycle (which most agree was pretty terrific). It came out at the same time as Abbado's on DG, which was incredibly dull (in contrast to the much better live videos which are now being issued on CD too). This too was pretty much the consensus. In presenting Barenboim's award, I said to the room full of artsy folk how wonderful it was that he had revised the German Romantic tradition in Beethoven playing, "in contrast to a certain more widely publicized but audibly inferior cycle from that other Berlin orchestra on a certain yellow label." I thought I'd get a laugh, but people were aghast that I would dare criticize another artist. The expression on Barenboim's face was priceless, and one of my happiest memories of running the awards. Looking at the horrified crowd, I said "Relax people. It's OK. I do this for a living." Funny thing was, afterwards a bunch of people came up to me and said, in effect, "You know, you were right, Abbado is a bore, but no one dares to say so, and it was so unexpected." But what, then, does an award mean (I said) if not a recognition of excellence offered after a vetting process of some kind?

That said, I don't think Klemps' Ninth is incompetent, but it has some major problems and at this point in his career he did exhibit serious failings. We know, for example, that he slept through most of his recording of the Rhenish Symphony, woke up, and asked "how did it go," then authorized it for release. Everyone said it sucks, and it does--the major blot on an otherwise pretty fine Schumann cycle. Is that competent? And what's the harm in calling it for what it is? As for your last line above, again, I'm not sure that it really means anything beyond the obvious point that great performances have a certain naturalness and inevitability about them, period. Anyway, it's been very interesting discussing this with you, and thank you for sharing your views so eloquently!

Dave H

Offline John Kim

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 04:10:25 PM »
Dave, I can't agree with you more  :D

Any performance whose technical quality - the execution - is below a norm, cannot claim that it has faithfully delivered conductor's conception or even the conception of the work itself well. That said, for most part I can catch Klemperer's concept in this recording. And because I like his conception I get even more frustrated than I should be  :-\ I cannot say his live VPO concert was much better but at the very least the orchestra got most of improtant parts right and it has that "Viennese stamp" all over the place.

Thank God, I love this board.

Where else can I find such a place??  :D

Regards,

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 04:18:01 PM »
Speaking of 'concept', try Klemperer's live Israel Phil. concert from early 70's. It is a very different than both the EMI and live VPO one and quite expansive throughout. But in terms of execution it is much worse than PO  :-[. But Klemperer's approach is keenly consistent from beginning to end (unlike in the EMI recording) and it makes far more sense. Had it been played by VPO or PO on a lucky night, it might have become my dream M9th. Well, that's what I can say based on my memory (but it's been several years since I listened to it  ???).

John,
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 04:21:12 PM by John Kim »

Polarius T

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 01:09:34 PM »
Moreover I think the better the performance, the less we hear of the conductor's "conception" of it and the more in it the work itself or its author seems newly revealed.

Ouch! I think that I could hang with your argument up until this particular point. This is like saying that you can only have one or the other; an either/or situation. For me, this is THE trap for so many fans of historical recordings. Great performances and great conceptualizations (interpretations - a word that I hate) need not be exclusive of each other at all, I feel.

Barry

Sorry, Barry; I had three toddlers squirming on the floor in front of me, one of them going crazy, and only one mother around to assist...

What I simply meant is that the conductor of course needs to do some serious work before forming his idea of what he is to do with the particular piece, not just arbitrarily decide to show it in some special light or something like that; and that idea must always be in the service of the work itself, in the context of our own time, and not to highlight something about the conductor's own qualities, for instance. Whether the conductor succeeds in this or not is then for the listeners to decide, but if it's a job well done, we have an experience of the work that doesn't draw too much attention to those performing it, allowing its meaning to emerge relatively unhindered. It's tough to experience a piece of art if there is something very arbitrary-seeming about its presentation. This is a tricky thing since it often only becomes possible with utmost effort, yet that effort is not to be seen (heard), so to speak. That would then qualify as a good performance for me (though of them, there is in most cases of course not just one).

A simple point awkwardly put, in other words!

-PT
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:46:32 PM by Polarius T »

Polarius T

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 01:28:53 PM »
You asked what I thought about the Barenboim...I like it because Barenboim doesn't appear to hold the work too sacred...the performance is very aggressive overall but with the woodwinds somewhat more prominent...strangely, the texture in this Barenboim M9 reminds me of the live Karajan M9 broadcast from Salzburg with the BPO (1982), where the winds are well heard, creating textures I don't usually hear in the score.  

There are some problems with the recording/execution that John Kim and Dave Hurwitz are correct about, but the strengths outwiegh the weaknesses.  

There is a live M9 broadcast from Barenboim/Staatskapelle (from April 2007) that is much better than the commercial release...more "exaggerated" and "edgy"...I was really impressed by it!

--Todd
Thanks for sharing your views on this, Todd; I think I'll have to try and hear it attentively myself, too: I like M9 played with a certain aggressivity or edge to it, as you describe the Barenboim, especially if Dave H. gave him an award just to straighten up the order of things in that pluralistic city of music...  ;D

-PT

Polarius T

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 02:40:43 PM »

I think youy are drawing a distinction here that is demonstrably false. The form/shape cannot be separated from the technical qualities of the ensemble realizing it, because it is their technical ability that permits its realization in the first place. Let me give you an example: Hermann Scherchen took fifteen minutes over the Adagietto of the Mahler 5th with the Philadelphia strings and nearly half that time in his official Vienna recording. Why? Because he explained that the Philly strings could sustain the slow tempo. So which performance reflects his "conception?" Obviously both do, but both are conditioned by technical apparatus at his disposal. The conception does not exist independently of the act of performance, however, well-planned or thought-out it might be. Similarly, if a conductor is working with players who are not at their best, or more to the point in Klemperer's case, he is incapable of getting them to give their best, then it's an open question as to how valid an example of his conception of the work has been presented and (in recordings) preserved. If he can't play the third movement up to tempo, then the form/shape of his performance may be unique, but not in a good way, and it may not be reflective of his view of the work.

No, it isn't. "Stiff" means something quite different from "emphatic," and "stodgy" suggests a very different quality than does "deliberate." Obviously people can disagree about these things to a certain degree, but ultimately reasonable people must share a basic understanding of what such descriptive terms mean to be able to communicate at all. And the issue is not what these things mean to you in an abstract sense. It is what they mean as a function of what the music demands for its most effective presentation as evidenced by the score, the performance tradition, and musicality of the performers, etc. This all adds up to some pretty definite parameters that can be used to describe a given performance contextually. I can acknowledge and enjoy Klemperer's deliberation while decrying his stodginess--one quality does not suggest the other. Nor is this a zero some game. I can accept that you enjoy this performance for its outstanding moments (and I keep it on hand because I would agree that it has some), while acknowledging its faults, whether or not we agree about how serious those are. But they are there, and many of them are facts, not opinions.

I think you are exaggerating quite a bit. "Five notes or so?" You must be a much better listener than I, particularly with respect to the opening of the Ninth Symphony! I can accept the notion that there was a distinctive "Klemperer/Philharmonia sound" (forward wind balances, etc), and I can accept that you want to hear that sound in this particular work. But that's a very different thing than suggesting that BECAUSE you hear that sound in this particular work, you are listening to a great performance of it. All you are hearing is a "characteristic" performance, and not even a very good one, at least compared to those works in which Klemperer is both characteristic and clearly getting the orchestra to play magnificently. Because, if you want to raise the issue of Klemperer's work in its larger context, we know for a fact that he was not a slob when it came to ensemble (far from it!), and that while his tempos were often deliberate he did not become stodgy until the very end of his life. From this evidence we can say pretty definitively that his Ninth is probably not entirely representative of his intentions. Your argument cuts both ways. I also think we need to beware of "the cult of mediocrity," the suggestion that technical insufficiency is somehow characterful or "honest," and that brilliance in this respect is suspect. As I said, this is not a zero sum game. All artists try to do their best, and as listeners we have every right to expect and demand the highest possible standards at all times.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here. The question makes no sense to me.

Why do you have a problem with the notions of incompetence or failure? If a plumber came to fix your toilet and he left it still running, even though you could flush it, you would call him a failure, or incompetent, wouldn't you? His failure need not be total or absolute. You might even demand that he come back and fix the problem, or refuse to pay his bill. How is music any different (other than that they can't come back and fix the problem)? Performers fail all the time, often in most abysmal ways. And I also think that he we recognized these failures for what they are and said as much we would have higher standards, and much humbler and more honest artists. Particularly in Europe, there is a tendency to treat artists with kid gloves. Let me share a little anecdote, if I may:

Back when I was running the Cannes Classical Awards in France, we gave Daniel Barenboim an award for his Beethoven cycle (which most agree was pretty terrific). It came out at the same time as Abbado's on DG, which was incredibly dull (in contrast to the much better live videos which are now being issued on CD too). This too was pretty much the consensus. In presenting Barenboim's award, I said to the room full of artsy folk how wonderful it was that he had revised the German Romantic tradition in Beethoven playing, "in contrast to a certain more widely publicized but audibly inferior cycle from that other Berlin orchestra on a certain yellow label." I thought I'd get a laugh, but people were aghast that I would dare criticize another artist. The expression on Barenboim's face was priceless, and one of my happiest memories of running the awards. Looking at the horrified crowd, I said "Relax people. It's OK. I do this for a living." Funny thing was, afterwards a bunch of people came up to me and said, in effect, "You know, you were right, Abbado is a bore, but no one dares to say so, and it was so unexpected." But what, then, does an award mean (I said) if not a recognition of excellence offered after a vetting process of some kind?

That said, I don't think Klemps' Ninth is incompetent, but it has some major problems and at this point in his career he did exhibit serious failings. We know, for example, that he slept through most of his recording of the Rhenish Symphony, woke up, and asked "how did it go," then authorized it for release. Everyone said it sucks, and it does--the major blot on an otherwise pretty fine Schumann cycle. Is that competent? And what's the harm in calling it for what it is? As for your last line above, again, I'm not sure that it really means anything beyond the obvious point that great performances have a certain naturalness and inevitability about them, period. Anyway, it's been very interesting discussing this with you, and thank you for sharing your views so eloquently!

Dave H

Dave,

I think this issue is being blown out of proportion. If we spent pages and pages discussing the quality of playing of, say, Walter's '38 M9 I'd feel more justified. Or the sound of -- let's take an example from your own personal picks -- most of what Ancerl recorded for Supraphon: they are quite metallic and hard-edged and not realistic enough in my view to convey what the conductor's idea of the sound in these cases was, exactly; for we also need to hear what the orchestra does, and how, even in rather small detail at times, to then get this "conception" right if I understand you correctly. On the whole, I don't think the Klemp recording fares that badly in these departments, or so badly that it would prevent us from hearing what Klemperer's contributions to the recorded-performance history of this piece are. Whether he could have done better is of course a very high possibility, given his age and multiple infirmities at the time already, but that's a question you can pose regarding everyone: is this recording a faithful reproduction or presentation of the "concept" this guy has of this work, or could it be different on another day, at another conjuncture/venue, with another orchestra, etc.? But what I think you shouldn't discount is, again, the possibility that some of the performance choices Klemperer made were conscious, not forced by circumstance. For instance the tempi: all of his tempi tended to get broader as time went by, and I don't think it was just because he couldn't make the band play faster. It was about how he changed his views of the work as well. Similarly, I don't know if this popular image of "the two Klemperers" is very useful or even reality-based that much (the Klemp of the live tapes and the Klemp of the EMI studio takes; often in fact the conductors are more careful to adequately rehearse and convey their vision of the work when in studio, as opposed to the more volatile situation on stage when the purpose is also to create an impression in an unrepeatable one-time aural event only, whether we like that vision or not). As your own anecdote illustrates, conductors change with time and according to their accruing knowledge and understanding but also opportunity (as in Scherchen's case who usually didn't get good enough players to work with him).

Anyhow, just to run through a few points hopefully very quickly this time:

1. "Gestalt": I think you're rushing a bit here. Music is performed as a sequence of events stretching up to a couple of hours, even, but we experience that temporal duration as a simultaneity, as a whole that transcends its component parts or those "events" (in its "gestalt" as in gestalt psychology or even the Rorschach test...). Sure, it takes a lot of skill to allow something like that to take place, especially today when we, as more and more critical listeners, have already become habituated to expecting extremely advanced musicianship that's encountered just about everywhere; but it takes other things too than mere ensemble skill and discipline to really allow the meaning of the work come through. I don't really know how else to put it. And for me at least the Klemp EMI recording isn't so damaged by anything as to prevent such a gestalt from emerging, despite his veeeeery lumpy Laendler movement (this -- the Scherzo -- must be what you mean, not the Rondo-Burleske, right, since the latter is overcooked by no more than about one minute and that by the Klemperer standard is basically nothing). But elsewhere there are enough many parts done excellently to leave me feel most satisfied by this performance. Take for instance the very opening notes, how well they are articulated in terms of note duration and the calibration of the attacks as well; nowhere else I think is this thoroughly Webernian sound image that de la Grange, too, has called attention to, conveyed as much to the character. That includes the vague string entry figurines that I don't think you hear as clearly delineated elswhere (though that's to an extent a matter of the recording quality as well). And despite Klemperer's own "conception" of the work (which emphasized that everything becomes meaningful through the lense of the final adagio only), I think this is one of the best M9 first movements that I've heard, if not the very best: for the simple reason that the crisis and final climax sections emerge so very logically from what goes before and what comes after; no one else I think has quite so managed to render these episodes in their context. In any case, this all very much bears a "Klemp" signature in it, and if you are right in that it's an exaggeration to say that five notes is enough to recognize it, five bars will then suffice; and what is this then if not a successfully enough conveyed conception typical of the conductor? His trademarks are all visible from early on (clarity, thematic differentiation but also and especially the relations between themes, purity of line, drawing up the detail as part of the context,...). Whether this is "the best" of all possible and imaginable Klemp M9s of course remains an open question but for the same reason also somewhat meaningless as an issue.

2. Stiff, stodgy: I meant that what for you appears as something like this may appear to me very differntly: what you perceive as stiff I may perceive as emphatic, etc. "Stiff" and "stodgy" are value attributions arising from an interpretation and are not objective, measurable properties...meaning the very same can be understood in other ways, too.

3. "Cult of mediocrity": I couldn't agree more. There is a good reason why I've become a fan of Abbado's... (Sophistication on an entirely new level.)

4. "But then I'm curious how do we tell that...": By this question I simply referred to your frequent condemnations of Simon Rattle's "conception" behind the works he performs, which you claim you can tell is usually self-serving or self-regarding.

5. "Incompetence" and "failure": I don't have any problems saying that this might not have been the best of all possible Klemp M9s, but what's the point with that, exactly? It's two different things to say, "It's not well enough played for me to enjoy it" and "The performance is a failure," for instance. Even if it wasn't very well played, it might have worked wonders in the mind of the listener (despite your and my own suspicions about it this actually happens), in which case it's not a failure. For me, this happens in Klemperer's Mahler, invariably, but also in his Bach (yes, despite what to our post period-revival-movement ears can at times sound like extreme sluggishness and plain heavy-footedness), Beethoven, and many the operatic works he recorded. On the failure side for me are his Schumann (miserable), even Brahms (compared to how flexibly and fluidly his symphonies are at best heard played today), Mendelssohn (stodgy!), you name it; but this on "the Klemperer scale": most other conductors have fared worse, most of the time. It's a bit like with Sviatoslav Richter: A minute into listening him play you forget the lousy sound of the recording and will not even notice the notes blown. The difference is probably about modes of listening: most of us as art appreciators don't listen very analytically (and aren't expected to, past a certain point; this is more like the job of the critics) but perceiving the work in a predominantly different way, receiving it in its broader outlines, as a singular content or an entity with a distinct shape and form having a certain basic quality to it ("gestalt"). For that to be so conveyed of course much skill is required from the performer(s), but it's not the same as searching for that misplaced accent of the timpani in the third-movement tutti or that false flute note towards the end of the finale (I call that "didactic listening"  :)). What matters rather is how each of the notes is made into something constitutive of a larger meaning that then emerges as the unique and singular property of the work in question. Few can do that. An example: think of Szell. His recordings (if you can project long and hard enough to get past the usually compromised sound) always have very disciplined, highly competently played performances in almost all respect, but do they matter to us very much today? Not really. Just collector's items.

A final note: I thought those Barenboim Beethoven recordings were clearly good but quite conservative and not very significant in any aspect, and I forgot them almost as soon as they were back on the shelf. Whereas Abbado's Berlin recordings brought many new revelations and tons of sheer pleasure at hearing these work played in this particular way, and the fascination has stayed. By the way: those Euroart video performances that you are talking about are now issued as a special arrangement in an audio-only box set; see . Abbado preferred to have them as his final "conception" of these works (they were all taped live in Rome a little later except for the 9th of which the earlier Berlin version is retained). I'm curious to hear them but doubt they'll ever be imported to the U.S. (and I already know what you will say about the wisdom of such birthday tributes to one of the greats of our time ::)).

I'm starting to babble, but the pleasure's been all mine.

-PT
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 04:38:34 PM by Polarius T »

Polarius T

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 02:42:52 PM »
Speaking of 'concept', try Klemperer's live Israel Phil. concert from early 70's.

Interesting; I didn't even know of the existence of something like this. Have to check it out.

PT

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 03:11:38 PM »
I think it's great that we've been able to discuss these sorts of issues without the usual result of things turning personal, and people calling each other names. I'm not sure that this type of conversation could have happened at any other classical music blog-site without the thread turning into complete chaos, full of vitriol.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2008, 05:29:54 PM »
I think it's great that we've been able to discuss these sorts of issues without the usual result of things turning personal, and people calling each other names. I'm not sure that this type of conversation could have happened at any other classical music blog-site without the thread turning into complete chaos, full of vitriol.

Barry

I agree...the conversations here have been very rewarding and educational...thanks gentleman!!!

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk