Author Topic: Barbirolli M6 coming out on "Great Rec. of the Cnty" series on Sept. 30  (Read 12962 times)

Offline barry guerrero

EMI is re-re-re-re-releasing the Barbirolli M6 on to its "Great Recordings Of The Century" series, coupled to R. Strauss' "Metamorphosen" (bleeeech!). It's interesting to see that the Barbirolli eeked out over Rattle's Birmingham recording of it (which just poops out towards the end of the finale - BEFORE it's supposed to poop out). Personally, I've always liked Barbirolli's M6 more than his famous M5. That's just me.

Barry
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 03:17:31 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Dave H

Re: Barbirolli M6 coming out on "Great Rec. of the Cnty" series on Sept. 30
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 01:22:20 AM »
I like the Barbirolli Sixth a lot too. It's a very gripping performance quite unlike any other. Certainly it's one of the best really slow versions out there--sort of like what Horenstein tried to do in his Stockholm performance, but with great playing and far more flexibility.
Dave H

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »
I have to admit (after revisiting this today) that wow - this M6 is definitely my favorite of the slower ones out there (as long as I listen in S/A order).

It's also the only one where I don't miss the repeat of the exposition of the first movt. Maybe it's the tempo relationships Barbirolli executes?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 06:34:12 AM »
Barbirolli's is a classic. I have a Canadian pressing which puts the Scherzo second.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 06:02:28 PM »
BUT, for me in the school of the slow Mahler 6ths, the 2013 live archive of Gielen's concert tops all others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk