Author Topic: Centenary of premiere of M7  (Read 5929 times)

Offline stillivor

Centenary of premiere of M7
« on: September 13, 2008, 06:35:05 PM »
It's on 19th September, and I'll be playing that great symphony to  celebrate,   

:D

Ivor

Polarius T

Re: Centenary of premiere of M7
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 07:14:59 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up: I keep losing all dates these days.

I'll be joining you. It's a personal favorite, too, second only to what came after, but in contrast to these it can be listened to more frequently. It's about time again.

-PT

Offline Don

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 09:07:12 PM »
Since it was the first Mahler Symphony I heard, I will join in the celebration. May get out the Solti Chicago 7th as it was a live performance by them that introduced me to the world of Mahler.

:)
M10 Fanatic!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 09:04:38 AM »
A centenary concert is being given in Prague this Friday by the Czech Philharmonic under Jiří Bělohlávek. More details here:

http://www.gustavmahler2010.cz/Mahler-Vyroci-Akce.aspx

Can anyone recommend a good recording played by the Czech Phil?

Offline cilea

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 09:36:58 AM »

Can anyone recommend a good recording played by the Czech Phil?

Try this one:

http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/4955

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
Thanks for the tip cilea, I'll check it out.

I have a soft spot for the 7th and vividly remember the Haitink Christmas Day concert in 1987, which was the first time I heard the piece (I recently bought the DVD set to re-live the moment). I've never heard any Czech Philharmonic recordings of Mahler, though, so Macal could be a good place to start.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 05:17:52 AM »
Two recordings in the Macal/CPO Mahler cycle are very good, if not down-right excellent: M4 (great singer; great playing) and M7. The 9th is maybe just a notch below those (I like it better than Dave does), while Macal's M3 just doesn't catch fire. It's pretty, but it lacks intensity. However, Kobayashi has a great M3 with the CPO. Happy listening!

Barry

Offline achri-d

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 04:29:21 PM »
It's on 19th September, and I'll be playing that great symphony to celebrate

The ninth was the introduction to Mahler for me. After a concert in 1996-7 in Oslo - where Mariss Jansons conducted - the seventh became my favorite. I am celebrating today and Gielen conducts.

As a layman and only having a few recordings - what should I head for?

The recordings I have in addition to Gielens are:

• Barenboim
  • Bertini
  • Boulez
  • Chailly
  • Horenstein
  • Kubelik

and a few others.

Rgds.

Offline stillivor

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 06:05:25 PM »
I'm playing Horenstein's - nothing new there.     ;D

I hope everyone who does play it has a ball, and makes a note somewhere (e.g. to tip into the box) as a reminder of their commemoration.

Ivor

Offline Don

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 01:29:42 AM »
I played Solti Chicago M7th, it was a live performance of the piece that I heard as a teen that started my Mahler obsession. So I thought it was fitting. Still a damn fine performance.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 02:21:12 AM »
Introduced two decades ago to the Abbado/CSO account of M7, it never really sustained my interest like the other' odd' symphonies I owned (M9/Guilini-CSO, M5/Sinopoli-PhilO, M3/Levin-CSO, M1/Abbado/CSO).  I thought I must be missing something since it got such high praise from others.  However, it was actually the Halasz/PRNSO on Naxos that sustained a positive opinion of the composition.  Subsequently, the Bertini rendition in the boxed set won me over, and it remains satisfyingly cohesive and exciting on every listening.
Russ Smiley

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 02:42:39 AM »
Fortunately, there are SO MANY good ones that one can run out and buy. Among recent vintage recordings, I really like the Macal/Czech Phil. one from Japan (Exton), as well as the Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin from Warner. They're different, and I like them both. Among older ones, I like Bernstein (both, really), Haitink I, Kubelik, Kondrashin (Tahra, AND his his Russian one), and Abbado/CSO. Bertini is real fine too. In fact, Bertini; Gielen; Inbal - those are real good too! What a nice situation  :D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 02:44:41 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Dave H

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 03:45:06 AM »
Who'd a thunk it, that we'd be so spoiled for choice? Barry's list look pretty definitive to me. There are two Mahler 7 moments that really stand out in my memory--tiny details really. The first is Abbado's handling of the opening of the scherzo in his CSO recording; incredibly sleazy (has to do with the swift tempo and the accents in the bassoons), and just wonderful. The other is the way Bernstein handles the viola trills (I think violas--I don't have the score in front of me) that introduce the "tango" theme on the oboes in Nachtmusik I in his Sony recording. That timbre has never been exactly duplicated, not even in his remake, and it blew me away when I first heard it--truly a totally new and original sound.

Finally, a slightly sick Mahler 7 story, but one that somehow suits that outrageous, nose-thumbingly grotesque finale. I attended several of the live performances that eventually became Bernstein's second recording. At one of them, I was joined by a very dear college friend (who very sadly passed away from HIV a few years later). In front of us was an elderly woman with one of those poofed up, "steel wool" hairdos that was completely blocking our view. She also spent the ENTIRE SYMPHONY opening and closing her purse, fishing around, and then slowly unwrapping one hard candy after the next. Every few minutes she would repeat the process. It was driving us crazy. I happened to have a box of Jujubees (remember those--little, rock hard gum-drop like candies?). My friend asked for one, and flipped it quietly into her hairdo when no one was looking. She didn't notice. So I did it too. I know, it was obnoxious, but by the time the finale got going her hair had a enough jujubee ornaments to pass for a Christmas tree, and no one was any the wiser. The look exactly matched the tone of the raucously festive ending. We ran for the exists when the performance finished, but I did get to see it a couple of other times without disturbing or being disturbed!

Dave H

Offline stillivor

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 10:41:40 AM »
Lots of listening reminders above (and I don't see the 'sweet' story as sick but amusing.)

Listening again to the Horenstein, it seemed to me a performance to banish doubts about any part of the work. Maybe it's the mark of a great performance that it makes the work sound inevitable and that the performance sounds alive and fresh.

A pity that there are some troublesome brass occasionally; and that the penultimate bang of the scherzo is so wonderfully loud that last ping goes missing. Nevertheless a real marvellous treat for me. 

And I'm looking forward to more fine performances I haven't yet heard.

Ivor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk