Author Topic: Luisi M2 SACD  (Read 4934 times)

Offline akiralx

Luisi M2 SACD
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:17:55 AM »

I've just reviewed Fabio Luisi's live SACD set of M2:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/4026#5975

He has actually recorded M6 and M4 as well, on CD.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Luisi M2 SACD
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 04:25:16 PM »
Isn't he the fellow who's conducting and recording with the Staatskapelle Dresden these days? If so, I'd like to hear more Mahler from there.

Barry

Offline akiralx

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 05:48:44 PM »
Isn't he the fellow who's conducting and recording with the Staatskapelle Dresden these days? If so, I'd like to hear more Mahler from there.

Barry

Yep, I've got his Bruckner 9 and Alpine Symphony from Dresden on SACD, both are superb.

Offline alpsman

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:40:15 PM »
I am going to listen Luisi and the VSO on Sunday, with Grimaud. There i will see and hear in flesh if he is great or what. I still believe that the real evaluation of a performer must be in action and not throught recordings

Offline je-b

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 10:14:30 AM »
I once attended a performance of "Don Carlo" at the Berlin State Opera with him conducting which was superb. On the other hand, I heard him and the Dresden Staatskapelle in concert with "An Alpine Symphony" and that was a pretty dismal evening - sloppy orchestral playing and a conductor whose non-involvement with the music was all too obvious. The fine state of the orchestra on their "Alpine Symphony" recording seems to suggest that I either caught them on an off-night or the limitless possibilities of modern engineering. ...  ???   
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Offline Jules

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 12:17:51 PM »
I still believe that the real evaluation of a performer must be in action and not throught recordings

I fully agree with you: a bad conductor can hardly cheat in a concert.

I think that Luisi is interesting enough as a conductor; he is the titular in Dresden and Vienna (Symphony). I have attended 3 concerts conducted by him, all of them quite exciting. A dull and languid performance of the Siegfried-Idylle was not a good omen... However, Ein Heldenleben was magnificent, plenty of glitter, mostly because the orchestra (Staatskapelle Dresden) is really unbeatable in the Strauss repertoire; but the musicians were ruled with firm hand that night. Then I heard a very stylish M1, with the Dresden as well: that was the very first time I heard the double-bass solo, in the beginning of the 3rd movement, played by the full section of the double-basses... practice that seems to be followed by other conductors nowadays, but whose reason I ignore.. I remember it lacked a bit of forcefulness in some passages of the 4th movement, but anyway it was in general a quite noticeable performance of Mahler, very well "explained" and Mahler tasted...

Finally I saw him conduct a beautiful program with Schubert 8th and 9th symphonies, with the Vienna Symphony: the 8th was correct, not too much atmospheric, but good; the 9th was splendid: transparent, light, even nervous in some passages, it reminded me of the old Schuricht performance with the SDR.

In short I think he deserves to attend his concerts or to listen his recordings with interest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk