Author Topic: Why not include Songs in boxsets?  (Read 3975 times)

Wunderhorn

Why not include Songs in boxsets?
« on: February 12, 2007, 07:01:06 PM »
Something has occurred to me, why haven't conductors who produce Mahler Symphony Boxsets include his  just as wonderful Song Cycles? It wouldn't be too difficult, considering their size and number. It seems more logical as this would complete the entire of Mahler's major works. Only Bernstein/DG has done this.

I've owned the Haitink/Bruckner boxset and was displeased at its lack of bass, making the whole cycle 'light'. I have downloads of M5, and M9 from the Haitink/Mahler boxset and also notice a lack of bass. These cycles, well received as they are, would have been even more so had they had 'muscle on their bones'. What a tragedy!  :'(

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Why not include Songs in boxsets?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 07:24:01 AM »
That's a great question. When 2011 rolls around, I think you'll see some very complete Mahler editions.

"I've owned the Haitink/Bruckner boxset and was displeased at its lack of bass, making the whole cycle 'light'. I have downloads of M5, and M9 from the Haitink/Mahler boxset and also notice a lack of bass. These cycles, well received as they are, would have been even more so had they had 'muscle on their bones'. What a tragedy!"

I couldn't agree more. However, Philips  just reissued Haitink's 1966 M3 with a really good remastering job. There's a sufficient amount of bass too. It's coupled to his fairly decent "Das Klagende Lied". His first M7 - one of the better recordings from Haitink's original cycle - has never been issued separately. I'd love to see Philips give that a good make-over as well.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 07:27:38 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk