Author Topic: photos of CSO low brass on European M9 tour  (Read 4862 times)

Offline barry guerrero

photos of CSO low brass on European M9 tour
« on: February 13, 2007, 08:26:24 AM »
Here's the Chicago trombone section in Essen, Germany. Charlie Vernon is the bass trombone player on the left. He came over from Philadelphia. Principle trombonist, Jay Friedman, is on the right. Michael Mulcahy - the guy in the middle -plays second trombone. There's no fourth part in M9 - just three.

Here they are in Vienna, playing Mahler 9. Principle clarinetist, Larry Combs, looks like he's falling asleep.

Here's Jay Friedman at Georg Solti's grave, which I assume must be in Vienna, Budapest, or London. He's thinking, "nothing's been the same since Solti used to let us play triple forte at all times!"

Bud Herseth pays his respects to Solti. I'll bet he didn't have to play softly for him either.

Lady Solti at Sir Georg's grave. In all seriousness, I'm sure this was a very big moment.

Rehearsing M9 in Vienna. That's Barenboim on the podium. Two harps are in the rear. Notice that the bass drum is tilted for its big rolls.

Charlie Vernon lets one rip at Vienna's Musikverein.

Muted brass, trying to get the tuning right.

Gene Pokorny - one of the greatest tuba players on the planet, playing the famous Chicago Symphony York CC tuba that Arnold Jacobs played on for decades. If not, it's one of the newer copies of it. Notice the big mute, used exclusively in the first movement.

Jay Friedman in front of the Musikverein. "Where are the roasted chestnut vendors?"

"I'm going to get that fly; if it kills me!"

All photos were posted at jayfriedman.com

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: photos of CSO low brass on European M9 tour
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 08:49:51 AM »
Those are great photos...thanks alot for posting them!  I love watching the 'behind the scenes' of a performance...interesting stuff.  I once got to sit in on a researsal of Das Lied von der Erde at the Aspen Music Festival.  The best part was hearing the orchestra without the vocals...very revealing look into the score.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk