Author Topic: Meet Philadelphia's new tuba player  (Read 5142 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Meet Philadelphia's new tuba player
« on: February 13, 2007, 08:49:22 AM »
Carol Jantsch. If you were expecting someone who looks like they just didn't make the tryouts for the Greenbay Packers, you're going to be very disappointed.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Meet Philadelphia's new tuba player
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 08:57:10 AM »
I've always wanted to know what it is like to play the brass parts in a Mahler symphony.  I played violin in my high school orchestra, and it was always cool to hear the brass and woodwind during the tutti's and etc.  The hair on my neck would raise!!

Thanks for posting this information...I don't know much about the tuba and was suprised at seeing such a young lady!!!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 09:13:49 AM »
I think that she hasn't even graduated from U. of Michigan in Ann Arbor yet!

By the way, her top tuba is a Perantucci PT-6 five valve CC tuba, while the lower one is a Yamaha 822 five valve F tuba. You'll hear a PT-6 on the MTT/SFSO Mahler recordings. The Yamaha 822 is a very large bore F tuba that sounds more like a CC tuba. They're very popular for studio and jazz work in the L.A. area. Most symphony tuba players prefer something smaller with a "sweeter", more singing tone quality - sacrificing a bit in low end power. Alan Baer in N.Y., for example, uses a larger CC tuba (often times), but has a smaller F tuba. The PT-6 and 822 are more evenly matched.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 03:43:43 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline Eric Nagamine

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 05:43:26 AM »
I think that she hasn't even graduated from U. of Michigan in Ann Arbor yet!

By the way, her top tuba is a Perantucci PT-6 five valve CC tuba, while the lower one is a Yamaha 822 five valve F tuba. You'll hear a PT-6 on the MTT/SFSO Mahler recordings. The Yamaha 822 is a very large bore F tuba that sounds more like a CC tuba. They're very popular for studio and jazz work in the L.A. area. Most symphony tuba players prefer something smaller with a "sweeter", more singing tone quality - sacrificing a bit in low end power. Alan Baer in N.Y., for example, uses a larger CC tuba (often times), but has a smaller F tuba. The PT-6 and 822 are more evenly matched.

A friend of mine who subs in Philly told me she got her degree last spring prior to a european gig prior to getting philly.

-----------------
Eric Nagamine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk