Author Topic: Walter orginal jacket boxset  (Read 4106 times)

Wunderhorn

Walter orginal jacket boxset
« on: February 19, 2007, 04:39:38 AM »
I just bought this 13-disc set for $40. It is comprised of famous Mahler and Bruckner recordings conducted by Bruno Walter. I think 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, DLvdE are in the set. I also got Solti conducting Salome and Arabella and Furtwangler's Tristan with Flagstad. I was curious if Klemperer's M9 is worth getting?

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Walter orginal jacket boxset
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 05:01:35 AM »
Klemperer's EMI M9 is about to be reissued on their "Great Recordings Of The Century" series. Wait for that remastering. There's a "live" M9 with the Vienna Phil. However, it's currently available only in a box set of live performances from Testament. It's really expensive! That one is also a mono recording. And yes, his M9 is very much worth hearing, I feel.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 07:47:10 AM »
No, Klemperer's Vienna live M9th is in good stereo. I always prefer that version over the Klemperer/PO/EMI.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 08:10:44 AM »
You're saying that the M9 performance in the Testament box is in stereo? All of the previous issues - mostly on various Italian pirates - have been in mono. Well, that's good to know. Too bad it costs so much.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 09:04:04 AM »
Barry,

Actually, you're right. The Testament edition is in mono or electronic stereo. But the Italian CDs are in stereo. I Like the remastering on Living Stage.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk