Author Topic: Reviews of M9, Alan Gilbert, Royal Stockholm PO, BIS on SACD (MERGED)  (Read 25695 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Review of Alan Gilbert M9 SACD
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 05:50:19 AM »
Looks very promising 8).

I didn't know it was already released.

What are the timings like? ???

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 06:36:28 PM »
I sampled the audio clips on the BIS website and find them to my liking. It was a high level recording so I could hear lots of details as the reviewer said.

John,

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »
The otherwise intelligent reviewer notes that "At the end of the score, you will be very aware that it was written by a man who was dying, knew that he was, and was none too happy about it."

And the myth goes on.

Of course, Mahler knew that he would die. Everyone does. He had plenty of experience with death as he grew up. But he was not bemoaning his fate in the Ninth. And he had no expectation of dying soon. Remember that he did not die of heart failure of any kind, as so often implied if not stated. He died of bacterial infection of the heart lining--subacute bacterial endocarditis, which ran its course briefly before being diagnosed in late February 1911. (See Herny-Louis de La Grange's Volume IV, page 1226 forward.)

It is not as if nobody knew until de La Grange's book was published. The actual cause of Mahler's death has been known and written about for several years. But the myth continues.

. & '

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 11:19:20 PM »
Looks very promising 8).

I didn't know it was already released.

What are the timings like? ???

John,

I. 26'41
II. 15'03
III. 13'07
IV. 26'27

Longer than 80min of SACD on  ???a single disc??

Offline cilea

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 05:52:20 AM »
David Hurwitz gives it a 10/10 rating.

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=12455

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 07:08:30 AM »
David Hurwitz gives it a 10/10 rating.

Wow...I'm gonna have to hear this...just put my order in!

--Todd

Offline Psanquin

DH reviews Gilbert/Royal Stockholm PO M9th - 10/10
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 10:42:38 AM »

This is a stunning recording of Mahler's Ninth, surely one of the luckiest pieces on disc. Broadly speaking, Alan Gilbert's conception resembles Kurt Masur's New York Philharmonic recording in that his first movement is a bit swifter than usual, and the finale a touch slower (26 minutes each). This works very well: it gives the opening additional flow and a real "quick movement" drama, even though the basic tempo never sounds rushed. Gilbert characterizes every moment superbly: the bell-like solos for harp, the snarling stopped horns, and the soft percussion. The big climax before the final collapse is marvelously shaped, a huge ritard followed by a terrifying plunge over the cliff.

The finale, by contrast, surges onward majestically but inexorably, rising to another volcanic climax, while the islands of stillness in between statements of the main theme are beautifully sculpted, with particularly sensitive attention to dynamics. Much of the extra time that the movement takes gets spent in the coda, very slow and very soft, the music's final disintegration minutely controlled and all the more affecting as a result.

Gilbert's view of the two inner movements is refreshing: they are both, in their different ways, swift and exciting. The three dances in the second movement are well-differentiated, the drunken waltz reaching particularly giddy heights. Gilbert doesn't shirk the vulgarity that Mahler builds into the music, but he doesn't exaggerate it either. The Rondo: Burleske is one of the most exciting performances on disc, the relentless accelerations after the slower central interlude driving the music mercilessly forward to its maniacal conclusion. Kudos to the excellent players of the RSPO, who stay with Gilbert every step of the way.

Indeed the playing throughout really is exceptional. The horns, strings, and solo winds are all excellent. Only the first trumpet disappoints slightly, not on account of the playing as such, but simply because of a relative lack of prominence at a couple of points (thankfully not at the climaxes). Superb sonics make this the Mahler Ninth of choice if you want SACD surround-sound, and getting the whole 82 minutes of music on a single disc makes this a bargain too. Mahler collectors surely will want to hear this recording right away, but less specialized collectors also should give it serious consideration as a prime choice among available Ninths.

--David Hurwitz

(NOTE: THREAD TITLE CORRECTED BY MODERATOR)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:58:51 PM by sperlsco »

Offline cilea

Offline Psanquin

Re: DH reviews AG/NYPO M9th - 10/10
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 12:10:46 PM »
I know cilea. I just wish to highlight this absolutely amazing rating  :) Congratulations Mr.Gilbert

Offline John Kim

Re: DH reviews AG/NYPO M9th - 10/10
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 03:25:15 PM »
Sorry, but I have to differ on this one, fiercely :-[ :-\.

If you like M9th relentless, gut-wrenching, heady, one-dimensional, and in great sound & playing, it may be for you.

Even then, I'd choose Kubelik's similar recording on DG from the 60's over the Gilbert.

Besides, I need a lot more than what Mr. Gilbert provides here ;).

John,
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:31:29 PM by John Kim »

Offline John Kim

Another review of Gilbert/BIS M9th SACD
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 04:14:13 PM »
Rating: 3 out of 4 stars.

A test case for the new conductor of the New York Philharmonic, but not in New York, October 2, 2009
By    Santa Fe listener - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)  

So far as I can tel, every note that Alan Gilbert has conducted with the NY PHil. has been rapturously greeted by the local press, especially the Times. He is the orchestra's new face. He arrives to reinvigorate the orchestra after the dispiriting tenure of Lorin Maazel. And he's a native son of the city. There's every reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. But eventually gilbert has to offer the goods musically and show that he's the major conductor the orchestra deserves. Since his track record in recordings has been all but invisible, this new Mahler Ninth is the first evidence yea or nay about his talents. Therefore, I anticipated it highly.

Gilbert, now 42, has been the chief conductor in Stockholm since 2000, and the good news is that he holds a firm hand over the orchestra and gets them to respond. One senses his confidence with this complex score. As it happens, the NY phil's in-house label has just issued a complete Mahler cycle under Maazel, and if his lackluster Ninth, which shows not a shred of conviction, reminds us of how bad tings got, Gilbert's Mahler is energetic and engaging. But it's also painted broadly, with generic gestures and generic ideas. The first movement's opening theme is a thing of light and shadow, but Gilbert marches through it at a simple, straightforward pace with no bohter one way or other. Part of this literalness may be due to his musicians, who are goodish European players of no real distinciton. Listening to the many woodwind solos Mahler has written, none are executed with personality or style. The notes are played, and that's that.

Gilbert offers no real changes in dramatic contrast or even pacing as this complex movement unfolds. Like Seiji Ozawa, who couldn't seem to figure out what to say in the Ninth (this symphony figured as his farrewell to Boston ad was not a fortunate event), Gilbrt engages with the music's emotion by fits and starts. The great eruptions in the first movement are vivid but not wrenching. One hears a Mahlerian who is musically assured but self-contained. Simon Rattle's recent Ninth from Berlin (EMI) could be accused of fussiness, but it had more galvanizing impact than this reading.

Not everyone expects Mahler to be played with intensity, but it has to be characteristic. In the Scherzo there's enormous latitude for parody, irony, the clash of rustic and sophisticated (Rattle said of the two inner movements that this one exemplified everything Mahler hated about the country, while the Ronddo-Burleske exemplified everything he hated about the city). Gilbert is merely efficient. Perhaps that will satisfy some listeners, since he is "positive," as the British like to say about upbeat music-making. The Rondo-Burleske proceeds in the same vein, with lots of quick, efficient gestures but no menace or irony. By this point you will know where you stand abut the performance as a whole. Michael Tilson Thomas has won praise for his detailed, elegant, one-dimensional way with Mahler, and gilbert seems to be on the same track.

Happily, the Adagio finale begins with more gravity and weight; at 27 min. it's a true Adagio and actually slower by a minute than Bernstein in Berlin (DG). For the first time I felt that we were fully in Mahler's world. Gilbert's control over the massed string section is impressive, with a full range of dynamics as the half-lights of the long elegy are revealed. The challenge in this movement is to sustain an inward emotion for almost half an hour. Gilbert sustains the line even when the music becomes soft; the fact that he never lets the melody slacken is the sign of a naturally gifted conductor.

In sum, I can hear that Gilbert, although by no means a major Mahlerian yet, belongs in the ranks of international conductors for his control, musicianship, and sensitivity. For me, his Ninth didn't catch fire until the last movement, and I wish Gilbert had found more drama and depth elsewhere. However, New York may have bet on the right horse over the long stretch. They deserve a change of fortune.

P.S. I copied it from amazon.com. Basically, this reviewer has spoken for me so well (except for the negative opinion on Ozawa's Mahler) and I don't need to say any more. Is he one of us on the board?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 04:17:21 PM by John Kim »

Offline Damfino

Re: Another review of Gilbert/BIS M9th SACD
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
I generally find my preferences to be opposite those of Santa Fe Listener. Not that he is wrong; we just seem to like different things. I usually find that if he (or she) does not like the recording, I probably will. I sometimes order a recording based on SFL's negative review.

Offline John Kim

Re: Another review of Gilbert/BIS M9th SACD
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 05:22:27 PM »
I generally find my preferences to be opposite those of Santa Fe Listener. Not that he is wrong; we just seem to like different things. I usually find that if he (or she) does not like the recording, I probably will. I sometimes order a recording based on SFL's negative review.
I guess the problem you may run into in this case is that his review is neither enthusiastic nor too negative. I mean, he gave 3/4 after all. So, if you follow your instinct applying the "inverse of his rating",

1 -> 4
2 -> 3
3 -> 2
4 -> 1

you will get 2 out of 4 stars for this recording which is even more negative than the original!! ;D :D ;)

Just kidding.....

John,

Offline barry guerrero

Re: DH reviews Gilbert/Royal Stockholm PO M9th - 10/10
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 11:56:10 PM »
I like it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk