Author Topic: still love my Zinman M6  (Read 13932 times)

Offline chalkpie

Re: still love my Zinman M6
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 03:18:34 AM »
After reading this and the new M9 thread, I guess I need to revisit this one. I think I heard it once so far and liked it, but don't remember it being anything special.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 03:34:02 AM »
After reading this and the new M9 thread, I guess I need to revisit this one. I think I heard it once so far and liked it, but don't remember it being anything special.
On a casual listening nothing sounds special. But to discerning ears Zinamn's extraordinary care about balance, subtle nuances, colors, clear delineation, comes through like no other. That's how Zinman's M6th sounds. It is also the only version with AS order with a convincing argument.

John,
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:37:04 AM by John Kim »

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 03:49:19 AM »
On a casual listening nothing sounds special. But to discerning ears Zinamn's extraordinary care about balance, subtle nuances, colors, clear delineation, comes through like no other. That's how Zinman's M6th sounds. It is also the only version with AS order with a convincing argument.

John,

Will do. It's on my long list of Mahler discs to revisit. The problem is that I actually like other music also!  :P

As for A/S order - I don't need to be convinced. This is the way I dig it. The Scherzo just sounds too damn close to the 1st movement and by the end of it I usually can't wait for the Anadante to start (doesn't hurt that it is one my fav single GM movements). When the Andante is placed second though, I feel recharged and ready to tackle the Scherzo.

I dunno, maybe he missed the boat and should have written another movement a la M7 - and I am only half joking here......

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 07:19:53 AM »
"maybe he missed the boat and should have written another movement a la M7"

or have dropped the scherzo altogether, and left it as the world's greatest three movement symphony, along with the Mozart 31 ("Paris"), or Sibelius' 3rd. That's not to mention Bruckner 9 in its "unfinished" state.

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 12:21:41 AM »
OK - I cranked the living creamcheese out this M6 tonight.

Simply put, this thing S-M-O-K-E-S.

No, it F***ing RAWKS!

I nearly crapped my drawers on that 1st hammer stroke. It is the best hammer I own on disc. The Andante is gorgeous also, and not syrupy or gooey. Good stuff, that is.

There is not much to fault here I'm afraid. This recording BEGS to be just absolutely goosed on the preamp - so go for it!

Instant Top 5 M6 for me, possibly even top 3. This joins Lenny DG, Gielen, Chailly, and Boulez as my go to's.

I guess I need to hear more Zinman, eh?

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 12:29:56 AM »
ps - I'm ready to toss my Abbado Berliner DG in the garbage after this Zinman. I don't care how good it supposedly it is - it sounds like moose ass and palesw to this Zinman is just about every aspect I look for in a good GM recording - and engineering plays a big role.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 01:31:56 AM »
OK - I cranked the living creamcheese out this M6 tonight.

Simply put, this thing S-M-O-K-E-S.

No, it F***ing RAWKS!

I nearly crapped my drawers on that 1st hammer stroke. It is the best hammer I own on disc. The Andante is gorgeous also, and not syrupy or gooey. Good stuff, that is.

There is not much to fault here I'm afraid. This recording BEGS to be just absolutely goosed on the preamp - so go for it!

Instant Top 5 M6 for me, possibly even top 3. This joins Lenny DG, Gielen, Chailly, and Boulez as my go to's.

I guess I need to hear more Zinman, eh?

I agree with every word you said!  The Zinman M6 is simply fantastic.  You will love his M9 then!!! 

--Todd

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 01:51:34 AM »
>"I agree with every word you said!  The Zinman M6 is simply fantastic.  You will love his M9 then!!!

--Todd"

I'm sure you're right Todd - the problem is I don't have a money tree in my back yard  ;)

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 01:52:19 AM »
How is MTT's M6?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 04:33:37 AM »
How is MTT's M6?
There are folks here including myself who love MTT's M6th. But Barry can't live with some of tempo shifts that MTT adopts along the way. He can't appreciate the slow tempo in Andante movt. He also thinks there isn't enough contrast between I and II (Scherzo) in tempo and mood. As for me, I think all of MTT's quirks work rather well for the symphony. I really like MTT's brazing tempos in the fast sections of IV; never before I heard any conductor doing that and the music doesn't sound dragging at all in such a treatment despite its 30 min. length.

Overall, it's one of the best M6ths out there, IMO.

John,
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 04:37:46 AM by John Kim »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 05:58:12 AM »
How is MTT's M6?

It's my top M6 right now.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 06:36:34 AM »
How is MTT's M6?
There are folks here including myself who love MTT's M6th. But Barry can't live with some of tempo shifts that MTT adopts along the way. He can't appreciate the slow tempo in Andante movt. He also thinks there isn't enough contrast between I and II (Scherzo) in tempo and mood. As for me, I think all of MTT's quirks work rather well for the symphony. I really like MTT's brazing tempos in the fast sections of IV; never before I heard any conductor doing that and the music doesn't sound dragging at all in such a treatment despite its 30 min. length.

Overall, it's one of the best M6ths out there, IMO.

John,
Having said all this, I can't say I visit the MTT as often as the Zinman. I agree with Barry that I and II are too similar and the Andante is somewhat drawn out. But IV is terrific.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk