Author Topic: OT: Alpine Symphony  (Read 2376 times)

Offline ChrisH

OT: Alpine Symphony
« on: April 16, 2021, 03:17:08 PM »
I was doing a deep dive on some trumpet related stuff and stumbled across this brass ensemble version of The Alpine Symphony. This was arranged by Phil Snedecor, and performed by the Banff Brass. They are the staff of the Banff brass workshop. Anyway, this is pretty incredible, and contains some of the most insane trumpet parts I've ever heard. It's 20 minutes of playing on your face. The sound of this live must have been monumental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG30rSB7jXE

Offline erikwilson7

Re: OT: Alpine Symphony
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 03:31:48 PM »
Wow! This is a treasure. I shared this with a friend of mine, a tuba player, who loves Strauss. This looks like a blast to perform.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 05:22:17 AM »
Oh, come on. Doing the Alpine peaks passage without a boat load of horns just sounds silly. Yes, I can see where trumpeters would get off on this. I don't mean to be offensive, but so many of these brass transcription projects are just so trumpet driven. This isn't for me - even if these guys and gals can play.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 01:50:37 PM »
I don't mean to be offensive, but so many of these brass transcription projects are just so trumpet driven. This isn't for me - even if these guys and gals can play.
That's because a lot of these projects are arranged/transcribed by trumpet players, Barry. Trumpet players, and most low brass players I know, are very much  in to arranging and transcribing music. It really started when Maurice Andre began performing oboe and violin music. I'd imagine you know how little rep there is for the brass family, outside of the horn. And, horn players are always too busy telling everyone how difficult their instrument is to play, they have little time for arranging.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 05:01:57 PM »
"horn players are always too busy telling everyone how difficult their instrument is to play"    .     .     .    there's a lot of truth in those words.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk