Author Topic: Writings on Mahler/ First M9  (Read 8494 times)

Offline mahler09

Writings on Mahler/ First M9
« on: February 25, 2011, 03:34:00 AM »
I have been re-reading some of Alma's reminiscences on her life with Mahler over the last few days... how much of a grain of salt should one take these with?  (Obviously parts must be opinion and her memory isn't always precise).  I've also been exploring his letters for some time now and am really enjoying the insight they give into Mahler's life and personality.  I know Alma was known to 'edit' these too however to put herself in a better light.  Are there other notable writings/letters concerning Mahler from those who knew him personally?
Ironically, I wonder what somebody who sought privacy for so much of his life would think of his correspondences being published for the world to see! 

On an unrelated but entirely awesome note... I'm seeing my first live M9 tomorrow! ;D

Offline Roffe

Re: Writings on Mahler/ First M9
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 06:03:58 AM »
I have been re-reading some of Alma's reminiscences on her life with Mahler over the last few days... how much of a grain of salt should one take these with?  (Obviously parts must be opinion and her memory isn't always precise).  I've also been exploring his letters for some time now and am really enjoying the insight they give into Mahler's life and personality.  I know Alma was known to 'edit' these too however to put herself in a better light.  Are there other notable writings/letters concerning Mahler from those who knew him personally?
Ironically, I wonder what somebody who sought privacy for so much of his life would think of his correspondences being published for the world to see! 

On an unrelated but entirely awesome note... I'm seeing my first live M9 tomorrow! ;D

Congratulations to you. The first will always be the first and aLWAYS be very special in your memory. I hope that you will ger a breathtaking performance that'll give you goose-bumps all over your body. Enjoy!

Roffe

Offline waderice

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 12:11:59 PM »
When we still had our subscription to the Baltimore Symphony last year, we saw/heard Marin Alsop do M9 at Strathmore Music Center in Rockville, MD (an excellent hall and M9 performance, BTW).  After an exhausting concert conducting this work, she came out onto the hall stage to answer questions!  Proof of her dedication to her art and her public!

Wade

Offline mahler09

M9 Concert Experience
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 11:45:59 PM »
I just got back! 

When I arrived Symphony Hall, I was surprised to learn that James Levine had canceled at the last minute due to his ongoing health problems.  I wasn't familiar with Sean Newhouse, the new BSO assistant conductor filling in, who wasn't scheduled to make his BSO debut until this summer.  Mahler's music isn't easy and I was a bit nervous as to how the performance would go since he had only led one rehearsal... That being said, he had a lot of energy (which was clear from his conducting) and that transferred to the orchestra well.  The beginning of the first movement was a little hesitant but after that everything seemed to fall into place.  The tempos were pretty standard in the first and last movements.  The 2nd and 3rd movements were really well done and the 3rd definitely picked up in speed.  There was a lot of coughing, which is to be expected, but... it always happened right at that sentimental moment!  [Take the end for instance: the stillness, the quiet... and then, just as it was about to end, somebody burst out coughing].  It did stay quiet for a good minute after the symphony ended fortunately.  It wasn't quite what I had expected, but it was well done overall and I'm happy to have finally seen a performance after listening to it far too many times on my own.

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:09:48 AM »
These are  surprises of concert! Sometimes you expect so much that finally you feel disapointed, sometimes you think you will be disapointed and it's just the opposite! that's what happend to me recently. As I was very very disapointed by M2 performance of Janowski/OSR ,I was almost decided to sell back my concert ticket for M3! Finally I exchanged my seat in the hall to get a better acoustics and it was a wonderful concert. One of my favourites as yet.And i can't say if there were coughs ,probably yes, but I was so much taken by the music that I did not even perceived them.
My first M9 live was by Zinman /Tonhalle orchestra in Zürich in 2009. I did not like first movement very much ,too much static to my taste. I prefered II and III. IV was very good and moving .
My second M9 was by Abbado /Lucerne in Paris. A dream becoming reality.
I hope you'll have plenty of Mahler concerts to enjoy. For each Symphony it's like a birth to listen to it in live, even if you play it dozens if times.
Mathilde
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:07:47 AM by Stürmisch Bewegt »

Offline mahler09

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 10:35:52 PM »
Yes, I was disappointed a bit.  Don't get me wrong, it was good, but it could have been great!  There were just some moments that I had anticipated one way that didn't come out quite as clearly.   

Offline Roffe

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 06:35:35 AM »
But, OTOH, Levine could have had a bad day and given you a lousy performance. Even worse, he could have died in the middle of the performance, like Sinopoli, and you would have hand only a half M9.

So, thank your lucky star that the performance was good.

Roffe

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 10:26:25 AM »
I am getting tickets to see the CSO and Haitink do M9 in June...I can't wait!
Michael

Offline mahler09

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 03:21:19 AM »
Good point Roffe! 
That sounds awesome Michael :)

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 11:38:15 AM »
We've got our tickets--center of the lower balcony.  :)
Michael

Offline Fafner

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 05:02:12 PM »
Haitink has been an awesome Mahler interpreter in the past, and one which had a great role in bringing Mahler to the masses. However, recents things I've heard from him failed to particularly impress me (but I have to say that I don't know his 9th). It looks like his Mahler hasn't improved with the time (it has become sloppier in many respects), something which can't be said about some other conductors (Abbado comes to mind)...
As for me, I think my first ever live M9 has been here where I live (Lugano, Switzerland), that was with Daniele Gatti conducting the Royal Philharmonic. Then I heard Chailly at Milan with his Verdi italian orchestra (wasn't bad, but ofc the Concergebouw would have been another history), Rattle with the Berliners at Lucerne (wasn't moved at all, and that applied to a good part of the public as well, something almost unbelievable given the emotional impact this symphony should have, almost independently from how it's played...the playing was pretty much immaculate, but the soul just wasn't there), Abbado at Lucerne (twice) and again in Paris (no words can adequately describe those concerts), and a couple of weeks ago again in Milan with the Verdi orchestra under Axelrod (a very expressionistic view, I'm not a fan of this way to do it, but it wsn't bad at all).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:10:03 PM by Fafner »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 05:29:39 PM »
My experience with Haitink is that he is now more concious of his technique, and is more controlled than when he was younger. I prefer this later, "contolled" Haitink. His 2004 M6 with the LSO convinces me of this.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 07:08:35 PM »
I am getting tickets to see the CSO and Haitink do M9 in June...I can't wait!
I am so jealous! >:( :(

Will this concert be recorded for a future release by CSO label?

This may be the very last chance for Haitink to record his SECOND commercial recording of this work.

So, somebody, please bug him to do it!! :-* :-*

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 07:11:25 PM »
My experience with Haitink is that he is now more concious of his technique, and is more controlled than when he was younger. I prefer this later, "contolled" Haitink. His 2004 M6 with the LSO convinces me of this.

--Todd
Agreed. His CSO M6th recording is also more of less in this category (both of which I like a lot).

John,

Offline Jules

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 07:32:23 PM »
I will experience Haitinks conducting of M9, too, but in Amsterdam, I'll be at the Concertgebouw performance in May. I have read anywhere that unofficially this concert (15th May) is meant to be his Farewell to the orchestra.... A few days later I will attend Gatti's concert with the Wiener Ph. in Madrid, also with M9 on the program, but honestly I don't expect this performance to be quite exciting (Gatti  ::))... And also, I was present in both performances of M9 by Abbado / Luzern in Madrid last October, that was quite an experience!!!!! So as Mahlerite I cannot complain about this season...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk